Saturday, December 7, 2019

The Big Move



We moved. If you didn't know. ;)

That last week leading up to the move was crazy. 

We tracked down Faire Coffee for one last stop. 

Gideon was very pleased to see both Emily and Carli :)


Emily even let Gideon push the button for my coffee.


On Saturday, November 23rd, I practiced for the Messiah in the morning. That afternoon some of Nathan's friends and a few of my cousins came over to help organize, finish projects, and start packing. 

Tate showing off his handyman skills- He put in a basement stair railing for us. 

Kandace came and helped pack but also kept Gideon occupied for a long time with her cool ideas. 

packing up the kitchen

boxes!

Sunday, we went to Washington Church for the last time.  We were there just for the morning and then I left for the Messiah. 

The performance went great. I love singing it. The music is fantastic and singing with an orchestra is just amazing. I'm so thankful I got to sing in it one more time. 

After the Messiah, we went over to Bob and Jenny's for supper. 
Miriel and Logan

Monday began yet more packing.  And the kids got sick. Aurelia had a small cough since Sunday. Monday evening, Gideon puked.  I got a little worried after he couldn't keep water down. But, he didn't puke the rest of the night. 

Tuesday we had help in and out all day. Which was great since the kids were both getting fevers. 

Jean and my mom.

 And then Jenny and Miriel came and brought amazing cupcakes. 


Thankfully, and ironically, we had set aside Wednesday for a no packing family day. We had planned to take the kids to the Playhouse and spend the rest of the day playing with them.  Plans changed.  Wednesday landed us in prompt care instead of at the Playhouse. 

Aurelia's cough had gotten worse and she had gotten a super high fever during the night. Gideon's fever was still there and had picked up a croup-y cough. I knew what was coming. Any time Gideon gets this sick, it always turns to his lungs. We of course had run out of his breathing treatment, it was the day before thanksgiving, and we were moving out of state... so, I called the doctor rather than wait it out.  The pediatrician was too busy,  so we just went in to prompt care. 

(I can't believe they left their masks on)
Happy family day to us. 

It turned out, Aurelia had Bronchiolitis and Gideon was still just a really bad cold. We had a wonderful doctor who prescribed us plenty of medication without a second thought. 

On the way home I was hit by a horrible migraine. I get migraines often. Usually I can catch them before they get bad. This one hit so fast and so hard, I was in the van moaning while Nathan ran in to CVS to pick up their medications. I quick took some Advil and by the time we got home, it was back to being manageable. 

But, then. (So, I quite often get auras with my migraines - loss of vision in one eye or flashing lights that take over my vision- I've gotten used to them but definitely scary the first few times.  Some really bad migraines have given me a feeling of weakness and numbness down my left side, sometimes the left side of my tongue goes numb- pretty freaky again, but I've gotten used to it.)  This time it was everything. The pain, numbness, aura, and on top of that my left cheek went numb.  (Let's also remember my history of blood clots.)  You know what's really scary. There is no difference in these symptoms from those of a stroke. 

Now I was pretty sure it was just migraine related. But, enough unsure to freak out. But, since we found out in prompt care that Nathan's insurance quit the day he quit work, and I had two miserably sick kids, and we were moving, I was not about to go to the ER  get a bunch of testing just to find out it was a migraine. 

Anyway, we ended up spending the evening at my parents so I could lay down. (Because, oh, Nathan was also sick and not feeling very well)


Well, no surprise, but we didn't go to church or do any Thanksgiving plans that next day. We stayed home. 

poor sick kids.
Aurelia getting a treatment.

But, since at the beginning of the week we thought we'd be gone. We had no food and nothing to eat anything off of. I had to go out to the garage just to make myself a cup of cocoa. ha. 

In the afternoon, I ran over to the Wyss gathering and picked up leftover Thanksgiving dinner for our supper. 

I felt bad though. We were supposed to be with Nathan's family, and we rarely see them.  It's just unfortunate that they were all sick on a holiday right before we moved. 

The kids were doing well enough with tylenol that they could play a bit. So, I built them a box tunnel. 

:)

 This is how we planned how to stuff the trailers...

Friday, some of Nathan's family came to help us pack. They also brought us leftovers from Thanksgiving.  I'm glad we got to spend a little bit of time with them.  


We sold our kitchen table that morning, so we ate off of card tables. 

what a mess

I took the kids to the farm after lunch so they could have naps away from the chaos. 

Fred, Bob, and Matt came over to help start loading the trailers. 

The living room started to fill with boxes and furniture

By Friday night, The house was mostly empty. We slept on mattresses in Nathan's office. 

Yah. We didn't sleep well. But, we made it through. 

Saturday morning,  family started showing up to help move. Fred, Troy, Matt, Kirk, Kyle, Kayla, and my parents.  Logan came to pull one of the trailers out for us. The guys played tetris with the trailers, while I mostly tried to keep things organized and keep the kids out of the way. The kids were still pretty sick and wanted to be held most of the time.  Kary brought us breakfast. And then we headed out. 


A donut can cheer anyone up though.

Farewell house. 

Sickness comes with it's benefits. The kids slept most of the way out and we made really good time. 
Aunt Jenny packed the kids the best travel bags ever too. 

The move in process begins

I was not joking about tetris....

Kacie, Kray, Cordin, and Tyler met us at the house.  They made super quick work of it and the trailers were unloaded in no time. Kacie and my dad put the kids' bunk together, Cordin and Kayla worked on the kitchen. I tried to direct traffic and deal with the kids. 

Poor Gideon and Aurelia were miserable. They were sick. They were confused. They were tired. They had spent all day riding in the car. I was way more stressed about how miserable they were than I was about the move in. 

poor sick Gideon trying to be happy about his new bed.

We were mostly moved in by 6:30 pm! and went over to Rita's for supper.  Gideon perked up a bit after supper and was able to play in their cool toy room. 
:)

After supper some of us came back to the house and started organizing and unpacking boxes. 

books went on shelves

kitchen table coming in

Kyle set up our tree.

By bed time, our beds were ready, out kitchen mostly unpacked, and while there were boxes all over, it already was looking like our place.  it was a crazy day. I am so thankful for all of the help we had!

It was a crazy week leading up. People kept saying that I got the migraine because of stress. Honestly I didn't really fell that stressed, maybe overwhelmed at times, but not really that stressed. That whole week all I could think was that we were being attacked.  We were so physically and emotionally run down by everything. Moving with two sick kids is really hard. It was one of those rare times in life where I can honestly say I felt people praying for us.  

In Christ
~Michelle

No comments: