I know. I know. It's already halfway through April and this is my first post.
We started out April by spending our evenings working on our garden. I decided this year to try raised beds. Nathan has been kind enough to go along.
The first bed going in
One evening, my dad and Jake brought us dirt. We paid for their labor in cookies.
Lots and lots of dirt
The finished product.
The other evening the doorbell rang and I answered the door. It was an older man and he was wondering where we got such nice dirt. He had never seen dirt so nice before. hehe. Thankfully I knew where my dad had bought it and with a confirmatory text, I was able to advise the man.
April 8th and 9th Nathan and I participated in the wedding festivities of one of Nathan's college friends. Nathan got to be a groomsman and wear a tux. Friday night we went to the rehearsal dinner. The other groomsmen, Nathan's friends as well, who aren't from the area stayed at our house that night.
Saturday, I tagged along to the Pere Marquette where the wedding party was meeting up.
We quick grabbed a picture.
looking quite handsome in his bow-tie :) hehe
We then headed to the church. I got to experience my first Catholic wedding. Quite something.
The wedding party and the gorgeous church.
From the church, I got to ride the bus with the wedding party, and other significant others, to pictures and then to the reception.
The bride and groom
Oh wedding receptions. They are so awkward. God was definitely looking out for me though and Nathan did not have to sit at a head table. But, yah. Dancing and drinking. Since I do neither, It was a bunch of long hours of sitting and sipping coke. If the dancing were only as beautiful and sophisticated as dances from the regency era (aka pride and prejudice), I would have been way more tempted to join.
Nathan's friends stayed Saturday night as well and left Sunday after we went to church.
Sunday evening, Kacie came over and spent the night. We stayed up far too late having really good conversations. :) I wish I got to see her more. To say I was tired on Monday is an understatement.
I got to babysit for Jack the other night. We had fun. I was trying to transfer the pictures seen above from my phone to the computer. Jack wanted to suck on my phone.
So, we took a selfie.
Saturday night we went to Matt's "surprise" birthday party at the farm. A random assortment of Matt's friends came. It was fun.
His cake. It's so gross.
just look at the amount of frosting.
The girlies came with Jenny and Bob and a few of the others brought their kids as well. I had fun watching them run around the farm. The men mostly sat on the porch and chatted.
They finished up the night with some quartet-ing.
We served lunch on Sunday. It was a success. We had plenty of food and not too much left over. Every time I find it weird how people thank me. I don't feel like I should be thanked. Every other couple serves lunch.Why is that spectacular or worthy of praise? I just did what was expected, nothing special. Serving lunch is my way of thanking everyone else for doing their part and vise versa.
Side rant on thanking: I also don't think people should be expected to write thank you notes for gifts given at showers. If I thanked you in person, why do I need to thank you again? If you need something in return for the gift, was it really a gift at all? For family and close friends, I have so much to thank you for, a card can't even do justice, and for others, it become the stock "thank you for the ----. We really appreciate it." How is that better than a collective appreciation for all the support and love shown? Do people realize how much it might cost a young couple fresh out of college, just starting out, with barely any savings, to send that many cards through the mail?
I don't mind getting or writing the occasional thank you note. But, I think expecting everyone to write one for everything, they lose their meaning. Same with being thanked for serving lunch.
I'm just weird. And, quite opinionated. If you haven't figured that out. If you like to write thank you notes for wedding/baby showers, enjoy :)
Anyway...I should probably be quiet. I've been on a soap box rampage these days. Blogs are wonderful forums for those though. ;) hehe.
In Christ
~Michelle
















2 comments:
I'm with you on the thank you notes! I get it if you ordered something thru the mail it's nice to know it got to the right place (although, tracking).... but if you watched me open it??
yay soapboxes!
I understand at a shower with a personal and specific thank you and expression of gratitude (and not an attitude that it is expected) that one may not need to send cards. Joy's mother announced that at Scott and Joy's baby shower and I repeated it at our home at the end of the shower. They were very appreciative of their gifts and pointed out the delight in each gift and acknowledged the givers with each gift. However, for those not personally thanked, a note is nice to know it was appreciated and received. A grateful heart is a heart that can bring joy..
A thank you for the bridal shower gift can be included in the wedding gift. It is harder to thank for a wedding gift as they are usually not opened in the presence of the person.
This is all my opinion. I wish that all the thanks and gratefulness I feel I would be able to remember and take the time to send more notes.
I think that a simple thank you for serving is nice. It shows a grateful heart and an acknowledgement of the effort. I don't think it is necessary. I certainly fail in that. I have been told that as a people we tend to not take a compliment graciously and I think it is because we do feel it is our duty, feel it may not have been that good or special, etc. Yet, a simple acknowledgement of the tnanks is sufficient (I tend to say oh, it wasn't much, or good, etc. which makes things awkward so I am working on that;).
We are to be a thankful people. When I am thankful, it gives me a better attitude also.
I am thankful and happy for your news of a new baby. I hope that you will enjoy this special time of change and transition. There are a lot of feelings and physical changes, but in the big picture, a miracle is happening inside you! May God bless you.
I love you. I appreciate your unique and special gifts and talents (albeit from afar most of the time).
love, ak
Post a Comment