Monday, September 12, 2016

The in between

Catching up on August.
In between Vacation and the canoe trip weekend, I've been spending my time catching up, starting, and finishing projects.
I don't know if it's nesting or if I'm just using the baby as an excuse. :)


I thought our door needed some color so, I swung by Hobby Lobby one evening. I had seen a wreath on Pinterest that I had fallen in love with, so I of course had to copy it.

tada!
I think I made it for 1/3 the price:)


Abby and Tyler were in town and needed a place to stay one evening. So, we gave them our guest room.  It was fun to have them over again. Sadly, they didn't bring the kids.


Only a few days later Kacie made a surprise visit.  She was out for some meetings before she heads to Mexico for a year.



Peaches.
Jenny and I headed to the farm one evening to work on peaches.  We go through them really fast so, mom ordered a bushel. Which was great. We didn't have to deal with earwigs coming out of the pit like you do with farm peaches.


:)


They just look so happy.

And of course, when there are wonderful fresh peaches...you make a pie. :)




mmm.

And, when you are already baking, you have to make cookies.


monster cookies (upper left) and the best chocolate chip cookies ever.



Project #1:
We've been working on a bench for our kitchen table.










It's not completely finished yet, but we're getting close.


Project #2:
A while ago, we went to Princeville to look through all of Edna's things.  I found this little children's rocker:


It had good bones but, was pretty out dated.
So, I spray painted it white. :)
Sadly, I haven't taken a picture of the finished chair.



Project #3:

We've been using an old dresser that I painted a few years ago as a side board in our dining room.  We plan to use it as a changing table for the baby, so we needed something else to take it's place.
One afternoon, we headed to El Paso to Bushart's. They have a bunch of old furniture for cheap.




And, we got this.
The coloring in this picture makes it not look so bad.
It actually was an awful yellow and brown speckled color.



I spent a morning sanding off the top of the bottom section.

To those of you who are getting in to chalk paint and wax coating... if you ever plan to refinish the furniture. Don't use wax.  I gummed up three different sander patches and ended up having to sand most of it by hand.




Finally done.


And stained!


Here you can see the color difference between the new paint and the old.

Painted, stained, new knobs...:)

The finished product! :) Eee! it makes me happy.



Project #4:
We've been in our house for over two years, and still didn't have actual curtains on our upstairs window.  So, I went to the farm and enlisted the help of my mom to cut off some curtains I had bought.


They were super wrinkly, so I figured if I washed them, I could shake them out and hang them, no problem. The tag even said machine washable.

Well they shrunk.


sigh. They are such an awkward length.


And, of course, we put them up at 11:30 at night. Poor Nathan. I was so tired. 





Our garden is on it's last legs. We pulled out the cherry tomato plants. Mainly because we couldn't handle the amount we were getting.

So, yah. I realized that of the 4 tomato plants I planted, none of them were the regular large red tomatoes. I need to learn to read packaging better.  I got two cherry tomato plants and two heirloom orange striped tomato plants.






But they look pretty :)


And, my flowers are still going strong.

August is over and we're already almost halfway through September.  I'm looking forward to campfires, s'mores, hot coco and apple cider. :) I am not looking forward to the cold.
Contrary to many assumptions, I have not been overly hot.  Actually, I spend the majority of my time inside, in an old building with no temperature regulation, with a sweater on. Even when it's 90 outside. 

In Christ
~Michelle






No comments: