Happy New Year!
Our New Year's Eve was about as exciting as you can imagine with a two month old. Gideon is still very sick. He cried for two hours straight after we got home from church and by the time we got him settled down and got ready for bed, it was almost the new year.
Oh well. I'm getting old anyway and going to a party until after midnight just isn't appealing any more.
I've had a few ponderings while watching facebook friends react to recent events. Many have commented that they could not wait to be done with 2016. That it had been the worst year ever.
Maybe it has been the worst year ever. But, 2017 will be even worse. We live in a sinful fallen world and it will continue to get worse until Christ returns. I understand they are hoping for relief. Maybe they can hit the refresh button on life. Maybe they can forget the past years and only look forward. Maybe, just maybe wars, poverty, untimely death, and terrorism will end.
It's incredibly sobering how desperately they want that reset, that refresh, that clean page. How they hope that people will change. That in the coming year, people and politics will make changes and finally there will be no suffering.
The truth is, the end does not look pretty. 2017 promises to bring just as much pain. Only in Christ can you be refreshed. Only in Christ is there someone to hope in. Only in Christ will you find joy, an end to suffering, and peace. Only in Christ will 2017 be a better year.
Our New Year's Eve was about as exciting as you can imagine with a two month old. Gideon is still very sick. He cried for two hours straight after we got home from church and by the time we got him settled down and got ready for bed, it was almost the new year.
Oh well. I'm getting old anyway and going to a party until after midnight just isn't appealing any more.
~~~
I've had a few ponderings while watching facebook friends react to recent events. Many have commented that they could not wait to be done with 2016. That it had been the worst year ever.
Maybe it has been the worst year ever. But, 2017 will be even worse. We live in a sinful fallen world and it will continue to get worse until Christ returns. I understand they are hoping for relief. Maybe they can hit the refresh button on life. Maybe they can forget the past years and only look forward. Maybe, just maybe wars, poverty, untimely death, and terrorism will end.
It's incredibly sobering how desperately they want that reset, that refresh, that clean page. How they hope that people will change. That in the coming year, people and politics will make changes and finally there will be no suffering.
The truth is, the end does not look pretty. 2017 promises to bring just as much pain. Only in Christ can you be refreshed. Only in Christ is there someone to hope in. Only in Christ will you find joy, an end to suffering, and peace. Only in Christ will 2017 be a better year.
I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold
thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for
a light of the Gentiles; To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners
from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house. I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory
will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. Behold, the
former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring
forth I tell you of them. ~Isaiah 42:6-9
In Christ
~Michelle
No comments:
Post a Comment