And then it got really hot. And, I didn't want to be outside at all.
One relatively nice morning, We went to the pool with Wendi and Katherine.
Brielle and Aurelia
:)
He couldn't even make it home
I don't know what genes caused it, but our kids are terrible sleepers. It never fails that they sleep shorter than they should. Which often makes me not want to start anything during their naps. However, When the rare occurrence happens that both are asleep at the same time, I have to try. This time as usual, both took way shorter naps. They both woke up in the middle of painting...
hehe
Aurelia loves emptying drawers
my buds.
waiting for daddy to get home
Aurelia loves animals
hiking carriers are lifesavers
Scout
We went to Fritz's pool one morning with Kendra and Lori.
Gideon never did jump...he's gotten a little more cautious
Nathan and I went out for a date night. We met Audrey and sent the kids to the Braker's. We are always too full to eat dessert at restaurants. So, this time we decided to get a cheap meal somewhere and then head to a nice restaurant for dessert. We picked up Buffalo Wild Wings and then went to Biaggis for dessert. We had a tough time choosing, so we got 3. No one told us they were all massive...
They all tasted great though!
:)
My garden is really taking off. I have another variety of dahlia blooming:
baby watermelon
tomatoes
Eeeeeee!:)
beans and mint
Pure joy
Friday night, the 19th, we volunteered for the Cost of Poverty Experience (COPE) at Proclaim and Serve. COPE is a poverty simulation. Us volunteers sat around the room in booths (police, bank, school. market, homeless shelter, etc.). We were social services.
Our booth
The participants came in and sat in families. They were given names, scenarios, money, tasks etc. A week of simulation took 15 minutes and we completed 4 weeks. Each family's goal was to end the month better off than they started. Each family had a real story of a real family in poverty.
families getting ready
the start of a week
Families had to pay rent, fix vehicle break downs, get to work, take kids to school, apply for jobs etc. Some families had drugs or guns. The police booth did searches. People were taken to jail. Some accidentally left kids at home and then social services and police stepped in. Families had to take in unexpected foster children. Others were evicted. Some lost their jobs. Others couldn't pay medical bills. Some resorted to stealing and lying. Some ended off worse. Few ended better.
I think it was incredibly realistic and thought provoking. It was such a cool experience.
hey!
It's hard to believe it has been 10 years. It feels like ages ago, but 10 years seems too long.
the few that showed up
Sunday, we went to Princeville for church and for a Martin cookout.
fun with aunt Anna
the hallway is the best place to play
Monday, I decided to wash the car seats since we weren't going anywhere. Just in time for my mom to text and invite us to a picnic.
My uncle Ed was in town from California for a funeral, so we got together to entertain him for the evening.
A rare moment. Gideon prayed so nice! It was so cute.
:)
Jack and Aurelia in the tunnel
Tuesday, Steve and Renee, Mom and I, Uncle Ed, and Bernie (whose wife's funeral Ed was out for) met for lunch in Gridley. I'm glad I was able to be with Bernie since I couldn't make it to the visitation.
Lunch was great and then we went back to Steve and Renee's to pick up Gideon and play a while.
Nathan had plans that evening so I took the kids back to the farm for supper.
feeding the cows
feeding Aurelia...sigh...
There goes my 'no dairy before 1' rule...
dirty kids need baths.
brushing teeth = double duty
Wednesday the 24th, we went to the fair in the morning.
checking out the cows
fair food
she got a hold of a french fry...sigh.
ice cream...the best part
Gideon likes to color with chalk, Aurelia likes to eat it.
:)
The flowers just keep getting better...
so pretty
hehe
The days cooled down a bit. We've been picnicing on the porch a lot.
getting in to more trouble
I thought it was out of reach...
"I look like grandpa!"
:)
One evening I finally got around to sanding the plaster on the ceiling from the spring roof/ceiling project. I majorly misjudged the dust. I had to improvise glasses and a mask...
so much dust
breakfast on the porch
big girl!
This past Saturday, my parents took Gideon to the threshing day. He loved the tractors. :)
Nathan and I worked on our bench project.
our helpers
The end results! :)
Monday we went grocery shopping and I needed to swing in to Farm and Fleet. I told Gideon if he was good, he'd get a toy. F&F has the best farm toys and animals. Well he was good so he got to pick something out. And, then of course I had to get something for Aurelia.
He was very pleased with this cart
She cooed at these kitties all the way home
His new truck and trailer
He wants to go back to Farm and Fleet now. ha.
It's sweet corn season! Oh how I love sweet corn.
:)
Our corn from our garden
It's a little too starchy, I should have picked it last week.
We spent the day at the farm Tuesday. We picked apples.
they had so much fun
And we made apple sauce.
Gideon got to ride the four wheeler with grandpa!
They went and picked us some corn to do.
Little stinker
:)
And somehow in all of this, Aurelia is now 10 months. She has taken a couple steps here and there. So, she's officially a toddler. She thinks she's all grown up.
baby girl.
Today was a busy day of cleaning and dealing with kids.
Gideon wants to do everything himself or he wants me to do it, but his way. Which means there are battles over everything. It can get rather exhausting. And, I'll admit I don't always handle it well. Aurelia is in a VERY exploratory stage. She also has a temper to rival mine :P ... So, closing the refrigerator door before she's ready results in temper tantrums, screaming, and thrashing on the floor. Which is wearing and she's only 10 months old. Between Gideon making messes, throwing fits, hurting Aurelia, whining, and asking a never ending amount of questions, and Aurelia crying at my feet, sneaking up the stairs, and eating my plants or any other number of unsanitary thing, I feel like I am in constant tension.
It's hard. I won't deny it. We have wonderful moments, which are captured in the ridiculous number of pictures I take, but real life is hard. I don't want to pretend it's not.
I sent this to the family text today... humor is a wonderful coping mechanism.
And a conversation earlier in the van:
Gideon: Where's the police man?
Me: He turned the other way.
G: Where's the police man?
Me: I don't know, he turned the other way.
5 min later...
G: Where's the police man
Me: I don't know.
G: Where's the police man
Me: You already asked that.
10 min later...
G: Where's the police man?
Me: I don't know! You already asked and I told you.
G: NO! you say 'he went the other way'!!!
... Where's the police man?
M:... (Seriously?!)
G: Where's the police man?
Me: He turned the other way...
G: (giggles to himself)
Send help.
hehe.
In Christ
~Michelle
No comments:
Post a Comment