Once we got back from Colorado, we pretty much hit the ground running and we have barely had a break since.
We got back to Indiana on a Saturday night and went on duty in Pine house, just to fill in for a few days, Sunday evening.
We took the residents to a park for Labor Day. It was cold and rainy, but some of them managed to hike and swim anyway.
That evening we had a wiener roast for supper.
We had a relatively uneventful time on at Pine. Not long after, I took a quick trip out to Illinois.
very happy to be with grandpa
The joys of getting dirty :)
It was Emily's early 30th birthday party!
The whole reason for the quick trip :)
A few cousins were able to meet me for coffee in the morning. It was a lot of fun to hang out again.
We had a few quiet days back at Maple house. I've started doing "school" with the kids. Basically, just coloring, cutting papers, and stickers, with the occasional learning how to write letters and draw shapes. Gideon picks things up really fast, and it's been fun to see his progress. I, however, am a terrible teacher and have no patience. It would be a stretch to really teach him long term.
Aurelia joins in at school too.
She doesn't do much more than scribble, but she has fun :)
Their fine artwork....(my hastily drawn rocket coloring page...)
back when it was warm and sunny
Some things about being in ministry are hard with kids. Others are not. I love their little hearts.
Aurelia insisted on praying for her favorite resident one night.
Two days after returning from Illinois, we were asked to go on duty at Oak. The House Parent couple who was supposed to be coming back on had COVID symptoms. So, we did changeover with the alternates and went on duty at Oak.
a walk with the Oak girls and their kids
One of the residents had a newborn. Aurelia was infatuated.
It wasn't a day in and we learned that the alternates now had symptoms. So, seeing as they were with the residents, we were with them at change over, and we were sleeping in their apartment... we knew we and all of the residents were now exposed.
So, sure enough after a few days, the residents started showing symptoms and so did I.
I took them all to get tested one morning. (In the end, both HP couples, the assistant, myself, and one residents tested positive. A second resident and our kids tested negative despite having symptoms. )
We spent 7 days on. I, thankfully, did not get too sick, and none of the residents weren't really up for doing much anyway. We had long slow days. We had a lot of meals brought to us, which was wonderful.
quiet time at Oak house
painting :)
it was such a mess.
My main covid symptoms were sore throat, exhaustion, and feeling like I had a cold. It wasn't until the very end that I lost my sense of smell. And, I'm not sure exactly when that happened since I didn't notice it for a few days.
Weirdly, at teh very end I got pink eye. Which is apparently a rare COVID symptom too. Most of my symptoms were gone by day 10/11ish, all except the exhaustion. That stuck around for days. I could barely do regular tasks without needing naps afterwards.
We were really spared a lot. The kids had low grade fevers one night and nasty snotty noses and coughs for a few days, but that was all.
Once we were feeling better, we were then quarantined for two weeks, because Nathan never showed any symptoms.
out visiting the goats
eating the last of our own watermelon
:)
resting on the swings
In the mean time, we were treated to entertainment from Gateway's escapee cow.
not supposed to be here...
or here.
He is just too smart. He figured out how to step through a wire fence and could jump over low areas.
Gideon and Aurelia's stuffed animals started having some fun too...
The found them reading Bible stories
and brushing their teeth.
hehe. They thought it was hilarious
We had beautiful fall weather for a few days. Gateway has short paths through the woods. The kids love to go exploring.
The trees started to turn
And then, it was Aurelia's birthday. Suddenly my baby is two.
:)
She loved her kitty cake
The cow got out again...

And again....
It wasn't the end of the cow's escapades. But, it was the end of September.
After the crazy first half of the month, being in quarantine for a while wasn't so bad. We were still able to get some work done around Maple and had some nice quiet days with out kids.
In Christ
No comments:
Post a Comment