*Don't read this if topics around birth make you squeamish*
Elodie's pregnancy was quite the adventure to say the least.
I found out I was pregnant alone in the ER (thanks COVID) with a burst appendix. Due to the burst appendix and the high level of anti-biotics they had me on, they were very concerned I would miscarry and had me going to OB appointments weekly for a few weeks. The first trimester was a mixture of recovering from surgery and morning sickness. My thyroid was off. I caught COVID. Morning sickness never really left me. Since I've had blood clots in the past, Indiana requires more monitoring. I had more sonograms that typical and starting at 36 weeks they had me coming in for a growth ultrasound, fetal non-stress test, and an unbiblical cord doppler twice a week. Then, as mentioned previously, at 36 weeks they started to worry about the baby's growth. At 39 weeks my blood pressure was slightly high and they suspected pre-eclampsia. (I think I was just stressed.)
When the baby measured small at 36 weeks, they sent me in to a specialist. My midwife told me it might potentially lead to being induced. Since, I firmly believe I just make small babies, this was incredibly stressful. Gideon was induced early for this same assumption and it was not a great experience.
Thankfully the specialist said everything looked fine and he agreed that I just make small babies. But, he suggested induction at 38 weeks. I talked my doctors in to 40 weeks.
All of this together, this was my most physically and emotionally exhausting pregnancies.
Anyway.
At my 39 week appointment, I agreed to have my membranes stripped (here's your cue to leave if that's too much for you) in an effort to move things along so that I wouldn't need induction at 40 weeks. And it seemed to do the trick. I started having very irregular contractions.
After my appointment on February 28th, my OB sent me to the hospital for testing to see if I had pre-eclampsia. My blood pressure at the office was high, not excessively, but enough that combined with the baby being small, they were worried. (Again, I reminded them, I just have small babies) The blood test came back normal, the urine test came back right on the line, but my blood pressure was back down to normal. So, yes, I suppose it was possible it was developing, but barely. However, this was enough for the OB to insist on induction.
The midwife insisted that we now "had the pathology" with such a small baby and preeclampsia. (again, let the people say- I just have small babies!) One of the midwifes agreed with me (as much as she legally could) but the other was adamant that it wasn't safe for me to leave the hospital. It was incredibly frustrating. I was having so many contractions, I knew I was days away from going in to labor naturally. We eventually agreed to stay at the hospital over night and be induced in the morning.
My doula came and sat with me and prayed with me that evening. My mom came out from Illinois to watch the kids. And, we went to sleep hoping to get enough rest.
Around 1:00 AM, I was woken up by the nurse to do a 20 minute nonstress test. After the test, the nurse aske me if I felt any contractions. I said yes, how did you know. She could see them on the monitor. She then said to let her know if I thought I was in labor.
After the rollercoaster of a pregnancy, I didn't dare believe I was actually in labor naturally. So I tried to go to sleep again. It was about 3 AM when I couldn't sleep anymore. I told Nathan I though I might actually be in labor. We called Nina, our doula, around 3:30/4:00.
My contraction started coming stronger and closer together. I walked around the room for a while. One of the incredible benefits of staying at the hospital was, we got to pick our room. And, our room had a jacuzzi tub. :) I got in and let me tell you. Seriously. It was immediate relief. It cut the pain in half. I wish everyone could labor in a tub.
Nina showed up around 4:45. The nurse checked and I was 5cm.
I started to get really nauseous between contractions and kept thinking I was about to puke. I got out of the tub for a while. Little tip- sitting on a toilet outs you in a fantastic position for baby to come down even more. So, I 'toilet sat' for a while. The nurse checked again and I was at 8-9cm.
Nina kept me moving (changing positions helps labor go faster) So, I labored on the birth ball for a while and then got back in the tub. I didn't last in their very long, I think that's about when my water broke and I started telling them I wanted to push.
They tried to hold me off because apparently my midwife had fallen asleep in her car in the parking lot and they couldn't get ahold of her. I didn't really care if she was their or not. She finally came and the got me up on the bed. I leaned over the back of the bed on my knees.
It's so funny to me how time work. I thought I had been laboring for hours and hours at an 8 and I kept saying I wanted to be done. Apparently it was only about a half hour. I also thought that I had pushed for hours. Nope, it was only a few pushes and a few minutes.
I had told them before that I wanted to catch my own baby. So when her head came out they said I could grab her. I told them "I can't!" I thought if I let go of the bed to catch her, I'd fall flat on my face. I ended up managing to somehow lean back enough and I was able to hold her head. Then I heard one of them say the cord was around her neck. Without thinking I just pulled it off. They didn't say anything. Then on the next push, she was out and I pulled her up to me!
Elodie Rue was born at 7:12 AM. A full 38 minutes before my scheduled induction.
She weighed 5 lbs 15 oz and was 19.5 inches long.
There were a few things on my birth "wish list" that if birth went absolutely perfectly they would happen. Labor in a tub, 6 hour labor (lets be honest, anything much faster would get pretty crazy), and go in to labor on my own.
During our stressful time at 36 weeks, with the potential of a very early induction, I opened the Bible to:
Rejoice in the Lord
always: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men.
The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and
supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And
the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and
minds through Christ Jesus. ~ Philippians 4:4-7
And, the best part was He gave us the most perfect little Elodie.
~Michelle
No comments:
Post a Comment