Sunday, March 28, 2021

February- life with a newborn

February we learned what it's like to be a family of 5.  

It's slightly ironic how it is a different experience for Nathan and I.  For me, this is a way easier transition than it was after Aurelia's birth. Nathan went back to work after less than a week, I think.  And, he was in the middle of studying for and taking his PE exam license. He was helpful yes, but no where near as available. Now, he's with us all the time. I don't have to worry about nursing Elodie non-stop and wondering where the kids are.  Nathan on the other hand, has had to take care of a postpartum wife and two crazy kids. He doesn't have work to take him away for 8 hours every day. 

Nathan went back on duty in the house sooner than I did.  Even then, we were both in the same building.    I went back on duty for a few days shortly after. It's been good though. We only have three residents and so far they haven't been too problematic. 

Aurelia LOVES Elodie

Gideon loves her too. But is much less interested. 

He was not happy about giving up his seat in the van.


I'm often nursing on the couch while chaos reigns around me. 


Gideon and Aurelia play so well together now. They can keep each other entertained for hours. The only problem with this is, they are both very ornery and they both love to destroy things.  We often find all of the books off the shelves, beds completely unmade, the toy room such a disaster they can't even play in it, etc.  But in general, they don't seem to mind or notice the reduced attention. 



all snuggled up.

Our doula, Nina :)

ready for pictures

Kristi took newborn pictures

loving on Elodie

Life went on with crazy kids...



dress up is the best


Praise hands :) hehe

Per tradition, I use Valentine's Day as an excuse to send out pictures of our kids to a few people.
It took a while, but they finally cooperated

Elodie had a few check ups

Seriously, that first week is just annoying. We had to go in multiple times for weight checks and bili checks. And then they turn around and tell you to rest and take it easy. *eyeroll*

Some of the Brakers came to visit. 

Lots of book reading





We got Elodie's Newborn pictures back:







The kids started to get pretty stir crazy after a while. It was nasty outside and we were stuck in our tiny apartment.  So, I got out baking soda and vinegar .



We got a few really good snows. Which was a lot of fun. Much prettier to look out on. 
snow ice cream!

everything looked fresh and clean

:)

I left Elodie with Nathan for a while and went out for a very short time with the kids.

Elodie and Aurelia

For Nathan's birthday, the kids helped me decorate a Lego cake for him.

Not my best work


There were a few more good days to play in the snow.


sleepy baby

Strangely enough it was a relief when Nathan went back on duty. I stayed off for a few more days. But, the kids and I could get out in the main house during the day. A change of scenery is wonderful. 

When you leave kids unattended.
sigh. You can only laugh.

what a kid



Gideon hasn't been taking naps for a while now but Aurelia still is. When they both  miss naps and don't think they are tired it usually ends like this:


she adores her

Aunt Cynthia came for a few days

the best baby snuggles


Nathan's parents made it out for a few days too.

We used Hickory house during the day 

Cynthia brought new toys


Grandpa Braker

it got wonderfully warm near the end of February. It was so nice to get out and take a walk. 

 

The kids have been handling the transition really well. They play so well together we really only have to worry about what they are doing. Going back on duty in Maple house has been easier than I expected.  In general, we've been doing really well. We made it through the worst of winter and the newborn stage. I'm sure that there will be challenges ahead with a filling house and three kids, but so far we've been blessed with a great team and great kids. :)

In Christ
~Michelle

No comments: