Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Quite the Adventure

Yes, this past week has been quite...awsome/interesting.



Right now I'm sitting in a hotel in Nashville, TN. I spent a week in Florida with 7 other girls. A huge snow and ice storm has kept us from traveling back home for two days now.



The week its self has been absolutely amazing, and I love all the girls to death. The weather was more beautiful than I could have ever asked for. I'll update more on Florida later.



We were suppose to leave Sunday night and make it home by Monday evening. Because of the weather we spent two more days in Florida with Ellie's grandparents and a couple from Rockville, Connecticut. This morning at 4am we left Fort Meyers. The roads were clear until we got to Atlanta. I was driving. Yay. Why did I say I could keep going?

The road was covered in about 3-4 inches of ice and slush. I did fine until the road suddenly was no longer plowed in front of me. I slowed down and started to move across interstate into a clear lane. Then I hit very deep section of slush. The van spun around and slid into the ditch facing the opposite direction. The entire van full of girls were screaming. When we came to a rest the van was nicely stuck in mud and snow. The EMT's, Firetrucks, two police cars and a tow truck showed up in less then 5 minutes. We were perfectly fine so the EMT's and firetrucks left. I felt horrible and stupid. The driver of the tow truck said that in that same quarter mile stretch of road he had pulled 105 people out of the ditch in the past 48 hours. I think Atlanta needs to invest in a snow plow.



After an hour we were on the road again. But now we have stopped for the night. I'm glad...I'm still shaking. I stayed calm through the whole thing, even while the van was sliding, but a few minutes after everyone else calmed down I guess the adrenaline wore off.



We hope to make it home by tomorrow afternoon.So... we are hanging out in the hotel right now. It was an awesome trip but I can't wait to be home.


Even though today was a crazy day God has protected us this whole trip.

"Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared." Exodus 23:20

In Christ
~Michelle

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad your all ok!! Wow what a trip! Safe travels tomorrow!!

Kate W.

Old Farmer said...

. . .traveling mercies . . .

Michelle said...

:)....yes those little mercies can sure travel...hehehe

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an adventure! I know what you mean about staying calm until it is all over and then it hits us. I am thankful that you are safely home and had such a blessed trip.
Love, A. Karen