We were quite busy with Christmases and family gatherings these past few weeks.
I was pretty much Christmased out halfway through. There is only so much sitting, eating, late nights, and time away from home that I can take. For a few days there we were barely home at all. We'd drop the presents by the tree, sleep, and head to another Christmas in the morning.
The Saturday before Christmas we went to the Big Martin Christmas (Nathan's second cousins). It was a full day of the typical Christmas activities, eating singing, and more eating.
Sunday followed with church and the evening at the Leman's. The Aunt's thought that having a Sunday evening supper and only a partial day on Monday would be easier on everyone, especially grandpa and grandma. But, of course, Grandma wasn't ok with that. :) So, Monday was returned to a full day of festivities.
Nathan and I kept Tyler and Abby Sunday and Monday nights. It was fun to have them and Boden. :) Monday night, Austin and Kray delivered our new living room chairs.
Tuesday evening, instead of relaxing as we should of, I decided we needed to find the perfect place to put the chairs. After, drilling a few holes in the wall and repainting a small patch, we finally decided on an arrangement.
Christmas Eve, Nathan and I had our little Christmas. He got me some books, an adult coloring book, and a sweater. He did good. He even wrapped them in lots of packages, which I love.
Christmas day, we went to church and after a short stop at home, went to the farm for my family's Christmas.
Saturday after Christmas, we spent the day with the smaller Martin family(Nathan's cousins).
Sunday evening, after a small "too much Christmas" meltdown from me, we headed off to Princeville again, for the Braker family Christmas.
Monday, our power went off before we left for work. Work is really slow around the holidays and so I didn't have much to do to begin with, but after the power started flickering, we lost the intranet (children's home stuff) and then the internet. Once that went down we really couldn't do any work, so they let us out at 2:00. Nathan texted me while I was on the road (I didn't look so he ended up calling) his work was going to let him leave at 3:00, so I turned around and picked him up. The roads weren't too bad but I guess the wind and ice had knocked out power all over. Our was still out when we got home, so I read a book by candle light. :)
We were planning to head out to Gridley for the Schlipf Christmas, but their power had been out all day too. I felt only slightly guilty that I was relieved. We'll reschedule and I had a much needed break.
My parents power came on and they willingly had us over for supper. So, I didn't eve have to cook! :) Our power came back on around 5:00, so we came home to a warm house.
Thankfully, despite all the water, our basement stayed relatively dry.
In the end, we made it to 6 out of 8 Christmases (9 if you count the Drayer Christmas in November) and if you include the pre-Wyss we spent 6 nights away from home (7 with plans) in the past 10 days. Throw in working every day except for Christmas day, and a few other external stressors, and you'll understand why I am done with Christmases and ready to just stay home.
There is a Christmas story that is a family favorite called Christmas Every Day. The little girl wishes for Christmas every day and this is what follows:
"About the beginning of October the little girl took to sitting down on dolls wherever she found them--she hated the sight of them so, and by Thanksgiving she just slammed her presents across the room. By that time people didn't carry presents around nicely anymore. They flung them over the fence or through the window, and, instead of taking great pains to write "For dear Papa," or "Mama " or "Brother," or "Sister," they used to write, "Take it, you horrid old thing!"
:) hehe
In Christ
~Michelle
I was pretty much Christmased out halfway through. There is only so much sitting, eating, late nights, and time away from home that I can take. For a few days there we were barely home at all. We'd drop the presents by the tree, sleep, and head to another Christmas in the morning.
The Saturday before Christmas we went to the Big Martin Christmas (Nathan's second cousins). It was a full day of the typical Christmas activities, eating singing, and more eating.
Sunday followed with church and the evening at the Leman's. The Aunt's thought that having a Sunday evening supper and only a partial day on Monday would be easier on everyone, especially grandpa and grandma. But, of course, Grandma wasn't ok with that. :) So, Monday was returned to a full day of festivities.
Kacie with Boden and William...sporting green pants :)
Christmas had barely begun!
Monday morning Breakfast
Red light, green light...
Karen arrived and her grand-kids stormed her.
All the greats
waiting for presents.
This year I made spoons for each of the ladies.
playing games
Emmy!
We were besties :)
Nathan and I kept Tyler and Abby Sunday and Monday nights. It was fun to have them and Boden. :) Monday night, Austin and Kray delivered our new living room chairs.
Tuesday evening, instead of relaxing as we should of, I decided we needed to find the perfect place to put the chairs. After, drilling a few holes in the wall and repainting a small patch, we finally decided on an arrangement.
I like them a lot :)
Christmas Eve, Nathan and I had our little Christmas. He got me some books, an adult coloring book, and a sweater. He did good. He even wrapped them in lots of packages, which I love.
lasagna
Nathan's favorite and our traditional Christmas dish:)
It's so pretty.
Christmas day, we went to church and after a short stop at home, went to the farm for my family's Christmas.
packages!
We gave Emmy an umbrella
My dad used it as a shade...
the aftermath
the boys playing a game
Christmas dinner
Saturday after Christmas, we spent the day with the smaller Martin family(Nathan's cousins).
The "pound exchange"
Isaiah was the center of attention.
Apples to Apples.
Sunday evening, after a small "too much Christmas" meltdown from me, we headed off to Princeville again, for the Braker family Christmas.
Isaiah wasn't so sure about the hat.
We gave Nathan's dad this plasma ball for his class room.
I think he liked it. :)
Monday, our power went off before we left for work. Work is really slow around the holidays and so I didn't have much to do to begin with, but after the power started flickering, we lost the intranet (children's home stuff) and then the internet. Once that went down we really couldn't do any work, so they let us out at 2:00. Nathan texted me while I was on the road (I didn't look so he ended up calling) his work was going to let him leave at 3:00, so I turned around and picked him up. The roads weren't too bad but I guess the wind and ice had knocked out power all over. Our was still out when we got home, so I read a book by candle light. :)
ice covered trees
our tree lost a branch
hot tea, cookies, and a good book by candle light...
:)
We were planning to head out to Gridley for the Schlipf Christmas, but their power had been out all day too. I felt only slightly guilty that I was relieved. We'll reschedule and I had a much needed break.
My parents power came on and they willingly had us over for supper. So, I didn't eve have to cook! :) Our power came back on around 5:00, so we came home to a warm house.
Thankfully, despite all the water, our basement stayed relatively dry.
In the end, we made it to 6 out of 8 Christmases (9 if you count the Drayer Christmas in November) and if you include the pre-Wyss we spent 6 nights away from home (7 with plans) in the past 10 days. Throw in working every day except for Christmas day, and a few other external stressors, and you'll understand why I am done with Christmases and ready to just stay home.
There is a Christmas story that is a family favorite called Christmas Every Day. The little girl wishes for Christmas every day and this is what follows:
"About the beginning of October the little girl took to sitting down on dolls wherever she found them--she hated the sight of them so, and by Thanksgiving she just slammed her presents across the room. By that time people didn't carry presents around nicely anymore. They flung them over the fence or through the window, and, instead of taking great pains to write "For dear Papa," or "Mama " or "Brother," or "Sister," they used to write, "Take it, you horrid old thing!"
:) hehe
In Christ
~Michelle
No comments:
Post a Comment