Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Christmas Music

December first marked the first day that I allow myself to listen to Christmas music. :)
 I am extremely opinionated when it comes to Christmas music. 
My criteria is as follows:
1. Must be in some way directly discussing the birth of Christ
2. Must be sung/played in a manner consistent with the original context of the song
3. Must show a depth more than "oh yay! it's Jesus's birthday"

Violation of #1- While I enjoy songs from the 30s, 40s, and 50s, in moderation, most are not Christmas songs in the purest sense. These include: "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," "Winter Wonderland," "Sleigh Ride," "Let it Snow,"  "Chestnuts Roasting," etc.   I actually really dislike these songs, mainly because they are over played and not really Christmas-y, and I get frustrated every time I hear them. 
And, don't get me started on "I saw Santa kissing mommy" or "all I want for Christmas is you" *gag*

Violation of #2 - Jazzed up, rocked up, popped up, versions of any song written in a different style. For example "Joy to the World" should be sung as a choral piece, not as a pop song by a male with a nasally voice and background bass.  See how quick I will switch that song.

Violation of #3-  Sadly, there are a lot that violate #3. 

Given these criteria, I strongly dislike much of the music played on the radio, in stores, and other public places.   

Why am I so particular? 

I was raised to love music and  I know good music when I hear it. And, I know poor music when I hear it too.   
Music and emotion are strongly linked and the music dedicated to the season should evoke emotion consistent with  Christ's birth (Joy, Hope, Peace, Awe, and Wonder, with a dash of Triumph and Holiness.) Far too many "Christmas" songs lack emotion or display the weak version of the emotions. ( Joy- temporary happiness, Hope- party-like excitement, Awe- "Aww it's a baby")  The melody and words should match in depth and beauty.  Which is my primary frustration with newer versions of old hymns.  The very popular "O Holy Night" loses so much when sung in a modern style.  
The third verse reads:
Truly He taught us to love one another

His law is love and His gospel is peace

Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother
And in His name all oppression shall cease
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy name



There is so much more to this song than the fact that it is a good song for belting.  
(compare this version to this.)

The style of newer songs doesn't bother me but much of today's Christmas music feels like a quickly thrown together song in an attempt to fill a Christmas CD. 

I know most of this is musical preference, and purely my opinion, however, there is a part of all of this that I think is truly concerning. The definition of what is considered Christmas music has broadened to include anything remotely related to winter. Also, the songs seem to portray such a lighthearted, bland version of the birth of Christ  that they lose the deep spiritual significance of our God coming as man for the purpose of redeeming us all through his death.  I know there is no way we can really capture that in words or song, but I prefer to listen to what I consider "good" music. :)

Good (by my definition) Music:
Handel's Messiah (though technically not Christmas music, includes some wonderful pieces about Christ's Birth)
Traditional hymns and carols sung or played by Orchestras, choirs, boys choirs etc
Old English and Celtic Carols
Madrigal 
Instrumental  (Canadian Brass is a favorite)


So, enjoy your listening. Merry Christmas and all that. But, please, don't make me listen to "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" ever again.

~Michelle

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Preach!!

The Vollmer's said...

"Alll I want for Christmas is youuu." C'mon shell you have to sing that to Nathan at least once this season ;)

Anonymous said...

In general I think we tend to not focus on the depth and holiness and worship of God and Jesus Christ.

Anonymous said...


Our sentiments exactly !! The whole reverence of our Lord's coming to this earth to give us salvation has totally been lost in this day. ( Enjoy your blog, a converted AC family from Tremont. )