Yes, I know it's been a long time. Sigh. I have a whole list of excuses, but basically, life is crazy and Gideon doesn't let me have the computer to myself.
This boy is busy. He's discovered he can push chairs around and use them to climb.
I turned my back for a second and this:
Pretty much if I though anything was still safe in this house, it is no longer.
One day Gideon was playing quietly... I have learned that playing quietly is not a good thing around this house...
We celebrated Easter with Nathan's family.
The Braker's have sheep. And, they had six new lambs!
Ed and Gladys hosted the meal. Gideon got an Easter basket from the aunts.
We had a semi-quiet week following.
My mom brought Jack over one day to help clean. Gideon was not impressed that Jack got the vacuum.
And after trying and trying to get this kid to take a pacifier ....he suddenly thinks it's hilarious to have one.
And then on the 5th we took off! We flew down to Florida for a week.
We stayed with Nathan's aunt's who live in Sarasota. They are actually moving back to Illinois this summer, so we took a load of their stuff back in their van then at the end of the week. We arrived at Elda and Vera's rather late but that didn't stop Gideon from running around like a wild child.
Friday, late morning, we headed out to Siesta Beach. It was a beautiful day. We ate a picnic lunch and stayed until Gideon's nap time.
Gideon did not know what to think of the sand. It was quite hilarious.
He eventually warmed up to the sand and then he was off. Running. Running all over.
Tuesday, we packed lunches and headed to Marathon Key. Marathon has the best beaches, so in retrospect I would try to stay there. we stopped at Cocoplum beach (I'd highly recommend) but ended up going to Sombrero beach (a little more kid friendly). It was beautiful.
It's a drive. But, boy is the drive worth it. Clear blue water on both sides. Nathan and I kept exclaiming "it's so blue!"
We had supper at the Fish House. It was a "must" according to reviewers online. I wasn't that impressed. It was good but a bit pricey and crowded.
Gideon spent his time at the beach valiantly trying to catch a seagull.
We attempted to take Gideon's 18 month pictures. They didn't go so well. hehe.
On the way back up the Keys, we stopped for ice cream. Because ice cream is a must.
Sunday, we went to Elgin for the ACYF day. Ellie was there with the Belvidere group. We got to catch up, which was so nice. We had a great weekend but I was so glad to get home.
Monday, Gideon came down with a fever. It lasted all week. So, we had a doctors visit and lots of pampering.
This boy is busy. He's discovered he can push chairs around and use them to climb.
Playing with the pictures on the refrigerator
um. um. yikes!!!
hehehe
Pretty much if I though anything was still safe in this house, it is no longer.
One day Gideon was playing quietly... I have learned that playing quietly is not a good thing around this house...
his diaper pail in the hallway, diapers and wipes on the floor... sigh
We celebrated Easter with Nathan's family.
Happy Easter :)
:)
The Braker's have sheep. And, they had six new lambs!
This was the cutest little black lamb
Gideon had so much fun :)
Ed and Gladys hosted the meal. Gideon got an Easter basket from the aunts.
grandma helped him open his stash
Gideon in his little fort.
My mom brought Jack over one day to help clean. Gideon was not impressed that Jack got the vacuum.
hehe little helpers
the king on his throne
on the plane
Gideon loved the flight. He would stand up and look over the seats in front and insist that the very kind and patient girls ahead of us would look out the window too. And, then he would look behind us and insist that those kind ladies would also look out the window. He charmed a pringle off the man next to us.
reading a new book
:)
We stayed with Nathan's aunt's who live in Sarasota. They are actually moving back to Illinois this summer, so we took a load of their stuff back in their van then at the end of the week. We arrived at Elda and Vera's rather late but that didn't stop Gideon from running around like a wild child.
I don't usually have this view in the morning :)
Gideon loved being able to run around outside.
Friday, late morning, we headed out to Siesta Beach. It was a beautiful day. We ate a picnic lunch and stayed until Gideon's nap time.
very happy
Gideon did not know what to think of the sand. It was quite hilarious.
he wouldn't put his feet down.
He eventually warmed up to the sand and then he was off. Running. Running all over.
down to the water
:) my two boys.
I spent the afternoon by the pool while Gideon napped. Vera took us out for supper that evening.
Saturday, we packed up and drove down to the Keys. We drove through the Everglades in hopes of seeing an alligator along the road, but sadly we saw none.
We arrived at our Airbnb place in Key Largo mid afternoon. We stayed there two nights. It was an interesting place. Great price for a great location but a little on the shady side.
it had a beautiful view though
out our front door
living room
bedroom...it was clean but yah....
The deck. hehe. It definitely needs a bit of work.
The apartment is owned by a boat rental place just below. Gideon loved sitting on the deck, watching the boats go by and looking for birdies.
this crane was the source of great excitement
We ate supper at Senor Frijoles, which was wonderful. Gideon got his own taco. He was pretty proud of it.
:)
After supper we headed to a little public beach. It was nice and quiet and perfect for Gideon to run around.
Freedom!
always on a mission
It's a drive. But, boy is the drive worth it. Clear blue water on both sides. Nathan and I kept exclaiming "it's so blue!"
blue blue water
Sombrero beach
little beach boy
shrimp
lobster bisque and smoked fish :)
Monday, we drove all the way to Key West. Again, a long drive but worth it just for the views along the way. 7 mile bridge is amazing. We however, got stuck in traffic, due to an accident, on the bridge for an hour. It was actually pretty cool. Everyone was out of their cars looking around.
7 mile bridge
the old 7 mile bridge
traffic jam
Gideon got to sit up front while we waited.
Key West is also a little overrated in my opinion. I don't like touristy places, shoppy shops, etc. And Key West is basically that. I'm sure there would be cool stuff to see if you had a ton of time. But we were already behind schedule and it was crowded and hot. So, we went to the "farthest point south" marker and headed to the beach.
Key west has wild roosters. Gideon didn't know what to do. He was cock-a-doodle-doo-ing his little heart out. hehe. And, then the trams going around looked like trains...he could barely contain himself.
I found this funny
a wild rooster
Smathers Beach on Key West
I will catch you
hehe
We went from Key West to our second place on the Key Largo. It was really cute.
We cleaned up and went out for supper at the Shipwreck bar and grill. It was outside eating right on the water. Which was pretty cool until the mosquitoes came out.
loaded chili dog :)
And because we had to...key lime pie
Tuesday, we packed up and headed to Sombrero beach again. We spent the day there, cleaned up in the beach showers, and then headed for Sarasota.
:)
We attempted to take Gideon's 18 month pictures. They didn't go so well. hehe.
:) probably the best one...
look anywhere but the camera
that back drop though
"ok, I'm done"
I mean seriously...this is the life
beautiful shallow little cove
the water was so clear
A little bit of rocky shore. :)
If you are wanting my travel advice- Sombrero beach gets a 10/10.
On the way back up the Keys, we stopped for ice cream. Because ice cream is a must.
mocha chip and Gideon's vanilla
And that was the end of our trip. :( We got back to Sarasota late Tuesday. Packed up Wednesday and headed home. We drove the Aunt's van back for them.
We got back mid-afternoon Thursday.
Saturday, We packed up and headed to Chicago/Elgin with the Bible Class on the bus.
Gideon loved the bus.
nap time while the kids played
supper at Giordano's
PIZZA!
Sunday, we went to Elgin for the ACYF day. Ellie was there with the Belvidere group. We got to catch up, which was so nice. We had a great weekend but I was so glad to get home.
Monday, Gideon came down with a fever. It lasted all week. So, we had a doctors visit and lots of pampering.
coco, in a mug, with a straw, on the counter.
spoiled little boy.
I got my bee suit! :)
I plan to help my dad with his bee keeping this summer. :)
And we got another look at baby! :)
Everything is looking great with the baby. My leg is feeling better, but still not 100%. The doctor isn't very optimistic that I'll ever get back to normal. Which is a downer. And, being on blood thinner complicates things when it comes to delivery. So, we've got a lot to work through and come to terms with on that front.
Whew. hehe. I think that's all.
In Christ
~Michelle





1 comment:
Wow, lots of activity there. I am thankful that your leg is good enought that you can travel and get around. The pictures were beautiful. We have enjoyed the keys, but mostly a day trip from Ft. Lauderdale. Thanks for the tips! I remember saying the water is so blue and so many shades of blue/green. It is amazing. Next time try Lazy Days restaurant on the oceanfront on Islamorada--good food and gorgeous views!
Poor Gideon (AND Mommy) that he got sick:(.
I enjoy reading the day to day and seeing Gideon grow. Praying for baby and you too.
Love,
ak
Post a Comment