The storm before the storm? Before the calm? I'm not really sure what's coming. ;)
A week and a half ago, I was all finished with projects, my house was clean, my calendar empty, and I was ready for the baby.
Ha.
Wednesday/Thursday Gideon started getting sick. Friday he woke up with a fever and was a cranky mess all day. Saturday he still had a fever, Sunday I stayed home from church with a very sick boy, Monday was more of the same. His fever would come and go, hang around low and then spike really high. By Tuesday I broke down and called the doctor hoping for an easy diagnosis and some antibiotics.
But of course the doctor couldn’t find anything and sent us home. By Wednesday, since he still had a fever, the doctor had us come in for testing. Poor poor Gideon. They checked for a UTI by cathetering him, did a nasal swab, and drew blood. The poor boy was sick, tired, and traumatized.
Thursday, the doctor called with test results. Gideon's white blood cell count and inflammation markers were both way up. AKA- he had a viral infection somewhere. However, none of the other tests showed what it was. So, she said that if he spiked another fever she'd have him admitted to the hospital. Ugh. Just what you want to think about right before you have a baby...the possibility of being in a different hospital than your child.
Thankfully, Gideon stayed fever free. And, is still fever free as of today!!!
But, yah that was rough. Gideon has never been a great sleeper (last week I was just exclaiming how excited I was that Gideon had slept through the night 5 nights in a row. For the first time EVER. He is almost 2.) And as sick as he was he was up multiple times a night, for hours. Or up every 20 minutes begging for water. Nathan and I were both ragged. I'm so thankful the baby didn't choose to come then.
Last night, Gideon slept through the night! And, I can tell. He's his normal self and I feel alive. I suppose having a newborn again won't be that much of an adjustment. Hehe.
But, back tracking a bit...
Early last week we did a bit of rearranging and brought all the kids books out to the living room. Gideon loves it. He can now pick out any book he wants.
Never can you have too many books. :)
Lena and Jack came over one morning. The boys played wonderfully together. I seriously love that the two of them get along so well.
Lena and I did some freezer meal prepping.
We spent an evening at the farm to give Nathan a break to study in silence. Gideon requested milk shakes... and who could turn that down? So, Grandpa kindly made us some. :)
They are eating pumpkins grown from seed I got from a Libby's pumpkin last year. So, I cooked a few up and pureed them.
Gideon is a little book lover. Which I love. One night I told him to pick out the books he wanted to read before bed. And, then I left the room.
It's officially Fall now. And, despite my love of summer, I have to say this weather is great.
Gideon got to spend an afternoon on the combine with Grandpa while I went to a doctor's appointment.
Anyway. It has been a relief to have my little boy back today. I'm hoping and praying he stays healthy and that we have a few more good nights of sleep before the baby. But, who knows. Baby's come when they want. :)
And FYI. 40 weeks to the day tomorrow and I can still touch my toes. I don't know if that's another score for Wyss genes (my grandma did 100 toe touches every morning well into her late 80s...if she doesn't still at 90!) or if the "pregnant women can't pick things off the ground" is just a myth designed to get sympathy. ;P
Who knows. hehe.
In Christ
~Michelle
A week and a half ago, I was all finished with projects, my house was clean, my calendar empty, and I was ready for the baby.
Ha.
Wednesday/Thursday Gideon started getting sick. Friday he woke up with a fever and was a cranky mess all day. Saturday he still had a fever, Sunday I stayed home from church with a very sick boy, Monday was more of the same. His fever would come and go, hang around low and then spike really high. By Tuesday I broke down and called the doctor hoping for an easy diagnosis and some antibiotics.
But of course the doctor couldn’t find anything and sent us home. By Wednesday, since he still had a fever, the doctor had us come in for testing. Poor poor Gideon. They checked for a UTI by cathetering him, did a nasal swab, and drew blood. The poor boy was sick, tired, and traumatized.
showing off his big dinosaur bandaid
Thursday, the doctor called with test results. Gideon's white blood cell count and inflammation markers were both way up. AKA- he had a viral infection somewhere. However, none of the other tests showed what it was. So, she said that if he spiked another fever she'd have him admitted to the hospital. Ugh. Just what you want to think about right before you have a baby...the possibility of being in a different hospital than your child.
Thankfully, Gideon stayed fever free. And, is still fever free as of today!!!
sick boys need cuddles
lots of cuddles
poor poor buddy.
Last night, Gideon slept through the night! And, I can tell. He's his normal self and I feel alive. I suppose having a newborn again won't be that much of an adjustment. Hehe.
But, back tracking a bit...
Early last week we did a bit of rearranging and brought all the kids books out to the living room. Gideon loves it. He can now pick out any book he wants.
Never can you have too many books. :)
Lena and Jack came over one morning. The boys played wonderfully together. I seriously love that the two of them get along so well.
:)
Some of these meals have already come in handy with the exhausting stress of this past week. :PWe spent an evening at the farm to give Nathan a break to study in silence. Gideon requested milk shakes... and who could turn that down? So, Grandpa kindly made us some. :)
:)
I've nearly cleaned my garden off. I picked most of the pumpkins. We have so many!
Just a few of what we have.
Gideon modeling the size.
Enough for 13 pies, I believe
Gideon is a little book lover. Which I love. One night I told him to pick out the books he wanted to read before bed. And, then I left the room.
hehehe
He had taken EVERY book off the shelf
His new favorite. "Where do diggers sleep at night"
It's officially Fall now. And, despite my love of summer, I have to say this weather is great.
hammock in the evening.
reading himself a book
Seriously though! It makes my heart happy that he does this :)
a melt down over not enough water on his toothbrush...sigh.
Gideon got to spend an afternoon on the combine with Grandpa while I went to a doctor's appointment.
I need a better camera...
This morning. Feeling better :)
Anyway. It has been a relief to have my little boy back today. I'm hoping and praying he stays healthy and that we have a few more good nights of sleep before the baby. But, who knows. Baby's come when they want. :)
And FYI. 40 weeks to the day tomorrow and I can still touch my toes. I don't know if that's another score for Wyss genes (my grandma did 100 toe touches every morning well into her late 80s...if she doesn't still at 90!) or if the "pregnant women can't pick things off the ground" is just a myth designed to get sympathy. ;P
Who knows. hehe.
In Christ
~Michelle
No comments:
Post a Comment