Thursday, February 7, 2019

Illinois Weather

This weather has been keeping us indoors a lot. And, while we have been busy and getting out a lot, it tends to be me dragging Gideon places and not much fun for him.  So, Lena and I met at Washington Five Points and took the boys swimming one Monday morning. 



two little boys in towels :) 

 Mom watched Aurelia so I could be focused on my little wild child in the water. She invited us to come to the farm for lunch then. 
They love their grandma

That afternoon, Gideon woke up with a fever. 

The next morning, he puked all over the bathroom floor.  It was awful. It had splattered everywhere, on me, Aurelia, the cabinets, the walls, toilet, and Gideon was freaking out so he managed to walk though it in his socks... have kids they said, it will be fun they said...

Over the next few days the temperature outside dropped to ridiculously cold (some reports said -22) and Gideon's fever kept going up. That meant some really long, quiet days at home.  

I set Gideon up with some books by the little fire place.  He napped off and on, occasionally needing me to read him books or set up his tablet to watch something. 


Two kids sleeping on a cold winters day 

Since, I couldn't start any major projects with a sick kid, I pulled out my Christmas gift. 
:) good stuff

Gideon's fever stayed in the 103 range for a good long while. One evening it hit 104.6. The poor kid was miserable. He got lots of tea, warm baths, and cuddles. 

Aurelia turned 4 months old! She is such an active little thing. Always wanting to be sitting up and part of whatever is going on. 




She thinks she is such a big girl.



watching the fire

I had decided Gideon's fever had gone on long enough (five days).  And, Aurelia had her 4 month appointment. So, with the help of my mom, I took them both in to see the doctor. 
Big Girl!
34th percentile length, 24th percentile weight. 
I actually think she might be bigger than Gideon was. 

The doctor couldn't find what exactly was wrong with Gideon. But, he did find the starts of an ear infections. So, he prescribed and antibiotic.  Gideon's fever finally went away the following morning. 

And in typical Illinois fashion, it warmed up again. I think it was up to almost 50. Gideon and I went outside and played in what remained of the snow. 


Between the rain and the ice, our kitchen ceiling has taken a hit. Sigh. We need a new roof.  We came home to find this one evening:


 The drywall in most of the kitchen is warping and cracking along the seams.  If we get a strong rain, it drips.  The joys of home-ownership. We should have moved last year.... ;P


Little girlie girl is a cheese.
She likes her bath ducky.

She has claimed our bed for her own...

So pretty.

And then this happened:
:)

I accepted a position at Gateway Woods Family Services in Morton, Illinois.  It's a part time adoption case manager position. 

I had been praying for some time about how I could use my talents and gifts. One morning in particular, I was praying for clear direction and provision in multiple aspects of life (not really thinking a job).  That very afternoon I got a phone call asking if I would be interested in taking this positions.  All of the pieces seemed to click in to place that this was the answer to every single one of my separate prayers. 

So, I am incredibly excited and thankful for this opportunity. My professional talents and abilities are now colliding with church and spiritual work. I'm looking forward to sharing the gospel through adoption- one of the greatest models of the gospel here on earth. 


This past Wednesday, I met up with Jessica at Cracker Barrel. Avery and Gideon had fun sitting by each other. 
:) cousins. 


Just look at this stinker. She thinks she is the Queen. 

She gets so mad if she can't get things to her mouth.

And then there is Gideon. Crazy little Gideon. :) 


One day a couple weeks ago, I finally went to the Chiropractor. For those of you who think Chiropractors are kooks, listen up.  I had been having migraines every day since Christmas. I didn't tell my Chiropractor this. But, one feel of my neck and she asked "have you been getting headaches?"  Apparently my neck is a mess. She noticed my muscles were super tight and said I had a vitamin D deficiency.  (Which I knew because I can get pretty down in the winter) Anyway, I went home and googled it. Yup, vitamin D deficiency is linked to tight muscles and migraines.  Which is worsened with breastfeeding.  So, I started taking Vitamin D...I have only had 2 migraines since!  Seriously, folks. I need sunshine. 

Today, Gideon helped me make Freida Buns.  


And in a wonderful bit of irony, while I was making buns, a package arrived.  The cookbooks are done!

:):):) YAY! 

They look really good. I'm extremely excited and relieved to have that project accomplished. 
:) happy yeast 


The buns didn't turn out as well as they could have. There are a few things I would do differently next time. One being, don't let Gideon help. hehe. He is the absolute opposite of help. I can't be sure he didn't pour salt in to my sugar jar.  But, also, the recipe doesn't specify the size of roll. So, while it has baking temp. and time, I think mine were too big and could have used a different temperature or  been in longer. 



oh little girl

...oh Gideon :)

Life is good.  Just get me to summer and it will be better. ;)

In Christ
~Michelle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So excited to get the update. I knew your desires and am thankful how God has provided. I am wondering about your littles yet:)
I am looking forward to getting the cookbooks! Your buns looked yummy to me.
It is SO hard to have sick kids! I am glad that they are doing better. And Aurelia is sooo cute and looks happy too! Is she pretty easy going?
Love,
ak