Saturday, June 25, 2011

Flying by

As always, summer starts out slow and I think "great! I'm going to be so bored and it will be wonderful," but then it all hits at once.

Monday, after many weeks of emailing and calling back and forth, I finally started volunteering at the Harbor Light Hospice office. Its not the most exciting position but it will be something to do.Originally I was going to be a hospice volunteer so I would get to meet with families of the dying...It was going to be super cool, but they put off emailing me back for over a month sooo I get to copy things and sort through pages of patient files. So, frustrating. My supervisor did say I could go out on visits occasionally. :)

Monday evening we had Ellie's 20th birthday party! We made pizza and ate her birthday cake. We Went for a walk but it didn't last very long. Mostly we just hung out. We are really good at doing that. :) I didn't get home until really late. Oh, well it was worth it.

Tuesday, I went to a camp out. Brooke's cousins have a lake and a cabin and she invited a bunch of girls over. We went swimming and canoeing in the afternoon. It was a lovely day with the chance of severe thunderstorms. We eventually after a few attempts managed to get the fire going just in time for it to start raining. We are smart though and positioned the canoe just right. It rained so much though that while the top logs were kept dry and burning, the fire pit was flooded with water.



 We ended up cooking our hot dogs on the grill after the storm passed over. that evening we played ultimate frisbee, went fishing, and stayed up until 3 in the morning playing dutch blitz. :)

Wednesday, was spent recuperating from Tuesday...I'm getting old and I don't do very well lacking sleep.

Thursday was U of I transfer day! I am so excited. I had a ton of fun wandering around campus with my dad and looking at all the random things he pointed out..."now that used to be the.." hehe It made him feel old to be back at his Alma mater.
First impressions: My program is really informal and the teachers seem really nice. My social work program has a total of 75 students. All of my SW classes are in the same building. We each have our own individualized mail slots and a refrigerate and microwave any of us can use. :) I know the engineers  don't have their own microwave :)
Mom picked us up and we went to my apartment. Its really cute and I'm really excited to live there.
We met Jake, and he took us on a tour of the engineering campus. It is huge! He had to use his ID card to get us into some of the buildings. I felt like I was breaking into a top secret spy laboratory. It was great fun. :)
We ate supper at Applebee's and headed on home.

Friday morning, I started volunteering.

This week has been packed! So much for summer boredom.
In Christ
~Michelle

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool souds fun. tate

Anonymous said...

cool house. i likethe cano pic.

Jenny said...

I'm only slightly jealous that you get to move to urbana. And walk the hallowed halls. :)

Michelle said...

haha :) yup, nothing better