Friday, June 10, 2011

In the days of writing letters

This past week my cousins came out from California. We pulled out a bunch of old letters and pictures we found at my grandma's house after she died. I love old pictures. I love old letters.I absolutely love the era of the 1950's and basically anything before that.


My Grandma Schlipf's mom and dad and uncles and aunts. The short man in the center and the woman looking over his shoulder are my Great-grandparents. I am assuming this is one of my great-uncles. The corner of the picture says 1914. My grandma :) My grandma's cousin Fanny. :).... One of the many pictures I found. I have no idea who this is, but she is gorgeous.




Grandma and her sister Miriam This picture is sweet beyond words. :) My grandma's cousin Lorene married my Grandpa's brother Clarence. Someone made my grandpa take my grandma home from the wedding even though neither of them wanted to...and the rest is history.
their wedding

hehe. :)





We have a lot of the letter's grandma sent to grandpa before they got married, most of them are day-to-day stuff and invitations, but this was hilarious:

"Dear Elmer,

Miriam was here today and said she and Joe are invited to go to Bluffton this weekend-and would I like to keep the kids. I felt like saying-"Do I want to break my leg"- but I didn't. So, unless they change their minds, I'll be in Eureka Saturday night.

If you want to come over and spend a nice quiet evening at home (with two kids), you may. If you'd rather skip this weekend, just let me know. I wouldn't blame you.

As Ever, Marjorie"

Besides letters between my grandparents, there are some very humerus ones from a very wild friend of grandma's, some are from friends, cousins, and brothers who were stationed overseas during WWII and, there are even a few dated the 1890's between my great-grandma and her cousins in Germany. The letters are in German, so I can't read them.

sigh...:)

In Christ
~Michelle

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Do I want to break my leg" that. is. awesome. Now I KNOW I get it honest.... hehe.

Jenny

Michelle said...

i know!! :) hehe