Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Southern Drawl

I spent my Memorial Day in Tennessee and Athens, Alabama at the Tennessee sing.


Saturday morning we met in the Morton church parking lot at 4:30am. It was extremely early to be up, dressed, and ready for a 9 hour bus ride. I love bus rides. Kendra, Wendi, Larissa, and Troyandellie were there, which made it even better. Troy's whole family was along so I got to get know Darcy alot better. She's in Ellie'd wedding with me. Troy's youngest brother Coby was also on the trip. He is hilarious, and absolutely adorable. Too bad he's only 12 ;). Surprisingly the trip there went really quickly.


wendi and kristen

Michelle H. and Darcy


The couple of the year :) They met one year ago on this trip.
We arrived around 2:00. They held an auction. It wasn't very exciting. Auctions are the same everywhere. There are a few items that go really high and a bunch of stuff the auctioneer should just buy himself. Really. There should be a rule that you can't put collector's plates or flashlights on auctions. It took way too long just to bring one dollar, while the caramel popcorn was flying off the table at $30.


The singing started late in the afternoon. The announcer got up and in a slow southern drawl welcomed us. Then a few people got up and sang special numbers. After each one he'd say "Thank ya, who'll be next." The singing went until 9:00. Needless to say, after 21 hours we all crashed and went to sleep early.


Sunday we visited the Athens, Alabama church. It was different then I am use to. Its a lot more laid back and slow in the south. There aren't any clocks anywhere and "take a ten minute break" means about twenty. :) None of the old people have teeth any more. It makes their accent even funnier. :)


aw... so cute :)The Athens church

Sunday after church we went back to the fellowship building in Tennessee. We sang a lot more, and had a few more special numbers. During one of the last songs the minister kept calling out "sing it once more, once more." So we sang the chorus ten times. :) Even though we had just sung for about 2 hours, we sang the whole half hour drive back to our hotel. Seriously. I loved it. :)

We had a pizza party and a dutch blitz tournament. Kristen and I won the first round! yay us. :) we didn't win the tournament though...sigh. After everyone else went to bed, I stayed up until 2:30am with Troy, Ellie, Kendra, Wendi, and Darcy. We had a great talk so it was totally worth the loss of sleep. :)




Coby and Wendi :D awww.... Dutch Blitz Some random hand game that I am pathetic at.



Monday morning the bus left at 8:00. It actually wasn't that bad. We played the name game, sang some more, talked, slept, and stopped way too often for all the old people to stretch their legs. :)




going out to eat


exhausted.



It was a great weekend. Southern people definitely are different then us "northerners" as they call us. I don't think I'd like to live there though, I like to know what time it is.

In Christ~
Michelle

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

cradle robber. :D

Michelle said...

psh. :D

Anonymous said...

Do you think that if a southern person were to read this they would be as amused by what you think of their accents or their ways of doing things? or in any way encouraged by the words of this post?

If your trip was just to be with your friends, and sort of make fun of the southern people - you might as well have just stayed home and had your fellowship there. It would have been a lot cheaper.

Anonymous said...

the couple of the year.What did it look like there.tatewyss