Friday, November 15, 2013

Licensed

I am Licensed. Finally. After a month of working without full access to cases, I finally got my clearance. 
Last week my background check cleared and this week everything else came through. 


It's official! :)

 Work has been going really well. I got a really nice ease in because of the time it took to get all of my clearances through. 
I now have all of my clients, I can visit them alone, I'm starting to get a hang of going places, and I've testified at court on my own. 

Visiting my clients is a lot of fun, minus the slightly dangerous side of things. :) There's nothing like being a little white girl walking through a pretty rough neighborhood all alone. The guys are pretty protective though and they always walk me to the door and watch me go to my car. 

Inside the houses is really interesting as well. My first day on visiting a client, a half asleep, half naked teen stumbled across the hall in front of me with his tooth brush hanging out of his mouth. Usually when I go upstairs, all the doors are shut, loud music is playing, and guys are shouting at each other through the walls. 

The other day, I went up there and timidly knocked on my client's door, silently praying he'd be fully clothed.  He shouted from the other side of the door "Who is it?" (in an angry tone, add an expletive or two). Mind you, he's also about 6'5", very big, and not Caucasian. ;)  "It's Michelle, your case worker" I said. His head popped out the door. He grinned. "I'll be down in a minute."

After having a nice conversation with client #1, I went looking for client #2.  I asked guy #1, who is not my client, if he'd seen client #2. Guy #1 asked guy #2 and client #1.  
So, picture this. Little me, standing in the upstairs hallway with three large teenage males, who do not share the same skin tone as me,  when client #2 comes sheepishly out of the bathroom. :) Ahaha. I love my job.

I think they like me though. They all sat around for about 20 minutes answering questions about the fact that I am not Amish, I do not cuss, what it means to be a conservative Christian, and no I do not know what a conservative vice lord is. Needless to say, I now know what a conservative vice lord is (a very violent sect of a Chicago gang), and I'm not sure I'd ever want to run across one in a dark ally. :)

It has amazed me, though it shouldn't, the fearlessness I feel. "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1
It has amazed me, though it shouldn't, the ease at which I suddenly find myself in spiritual conversations with my clients.  They are so hungry to fill that hole in their lives. 

In Christ
~Michelle

No comments: