The Sunday the tornado came through, Nathan and I had kept Kacie and Alyssa overnight. I really enjoy keeping people but only having one bathroom does present a problem. :) We had a lot of fun Saturday and Saturday night. Kacie got to our apartment around 2:30 and got to watch me finish baking cinnamon rolls. Then, Saturday we went to testimonies.
I got to toss a lot of bricks, haul a lot of boards, and sort through piles and piles of ruble. I found a stack of baby pictures, Amber F. found someone's wedding dress still in plastic, and someone found a bunch of tools. But, even with all of those finds, the amount of stuff they lost is incredible.
It was so cold. Halfway through the morning Wendi brought hot coco out to our work team. It was wonderful. :) After lunch, I went back to church and found some foot warmers. They helped immensely.
There were so many volunteers. I knew so many people, it made the work a lot of fun. Brook and Corey were there. It was so much fun to be able to work with them. Troy and Ellie were there too. And, so was Janelle G. who I visited in Haiti.
The whole thing got totally over shadowed by the tornado.
The rest of the week was crazy. My typical day was: go to work for 8.5 hours, spend 2-3 hours at church helping feed work teams or clean up, get home around 8:00 and crash. Wednesday, I took a 5 hour shift at the Crossroads church feeding tornado victims. My house never got cleaned up from Kacie and Alyssa and until Nathan finally did the dishes there were dishes in the sink since last Saturday.
I spent this past Saturday working on a work team in Washington. It was a wonderful experience. There are no words to describe the amount of debris and pictures just don't capture it.
The parking lot full of truck, trailers, skid-steers, and other machinery
Devonshire-Hampton area
standing in someone's kitchen
Oh, and if you ever pick up a paint can that survived a tornado- it may have a leak.
It was so cold. Halfway through the morning Wendi brought hot coco out to our work team. It was wonderful. :) After lunch, I went back to church and found some foot warmers. They helped immensely.
Lena worked crazy hard this week as the unofficial secretary.
She looks so cute curled up with Heather's baby. :) tehe
So, tonight I made it out grocery shopping, and began cleaning the apartment.
All stocked up for the holiday baking to come :)
I can't believe Thanksgiving is this week.
In Christ
~Michelle
No comments:
Post a Comment