Two weekends ago, Nathan and I decided to visit Aaron and Kendra in Morton. We spent the day with them in church, hung out in Kendra's future home, and went out to eat. Nathan and I both went home very excited about how awesome Aaron is and how much fun it will be to hang out as couples.
Last week was a short week at work. The CEO let us all off at 2:30 on Wednesday as a Thanksgiving gift. It was wonderful.
We spent Thanksgiving with Nathan's family. I took pies. I got a lot of pie baking things at my showers, a pie cookbook, pie pans, a pie crust protector etc., and so it became know that I like to make pies. Nathan's family put me to the test. :) They said I passed, so that's good.
I realized recently that I've had Grandpa, Grandma, Pearline, Scott, Joy, Kacie, Alyssa, and all the local Wyss cousins to our apartment, but not my dad. So, I decided to have my parents and Jake over Sunday night. I was feeling lazy so we ordered pizza and had leftover pie. It was a good evening though and I feel less like a terrible daughter. :)
On Thanksgiving:
I could list all of the things I'm thankful for with the obligatory (and truthful) number one being my salvation, I could post a poem, a Bible verse or a song that fits well, but above my thankfulness there has been a sense of conviction, a nagging, a frustration that maybe I enjoy Thanksgiving too much. That maybe, I too easily give thanks for what I have, and stop there. That part of giving thanks, being truly grateful, is wanting others to have the same.
It truly has been an eyeopening and convicting experience so far at work, and I am amazed by what God has already taught me.
It just hurts to hear my clients try to hide their anger and disappointment that they are alone during one of the biggest family days of the year.
I have been convicted that my thankfulness shouldn't stop at 'thanks'.
In Christ
~Michelle
Last week was a short week at work. The CEO let us all off at 2:30 on Wednesday as a Thanksgiving gift. It was wonderful.
We spent Thanksgiving with Nathan's family. I took pies. I got a lot of pie baking things at my showers, a pie cookbook, pie pans, a pie crust protector etc., and so it became know that I like to make pies. Nathan's family put me to the test. :) They said I passed, so that's good.
I realized recently that I've had Grandpa, Grandma, Pearline, Scott, Joy, Kacie, Alyssa, and all the local Wyss cousins to our apartment, but not my dad. So, I decided to have my parents and Jake over Sunday night. I was feeling lazy so we ordered pizza and had leftover pie. It was a good evening though and I feel less like a terrible daughter. :)
On Thanksgiving:
I could list all of the things I'm thankful for with the obligatory (and truthful) number one being my salvation, I could post a poem, a Bible verse or a song that fits well, but above my thankfulness there has been a sense of conviction, a nagging, a frustration that maybe I enjoy Thanksgiving too much. That maybe, I too easily give thanks for what I have, and stop there. That part of giving thanks, being truly grateful, is wanting others to have the same.
It truly has been an eyeopening and convicting experience so far at work, and I am amazed by what God has already taught me.
On Wednesday at my job, I talked with my clients, asked them about their plans, and told them to have a good thanksgiving. And, as I drove home, as I spent Thanksgiving with family, I was reminded- my clients didn't have plans. They didn't have any family to go to, no home to return to, no grandmother cooking the turkey. Instead, they were bused with all the other clients to a restaurant for dinner.
I was frustrated because I, in all of my social-workiness (save the world! :) tehe), legally can't do anything because it would be stepping over the client-worker boundary. It just hurts to hear my clients try to hide their anger and disappointment that they are alone during one of the biggest family days of the year.
I have been convicted that my thankfulness shouldn't stop at 'thanks'.
In Christ
~Michelle
1 comment:
Yes, I have contemplated our thankfulness, too. Thursday John Rowell said we need to be "thanks living". Food for thought.
Yes, your pies have a reputation. We will have to stop and see you sometime. We stopped and saw Matt's home on our way "home" once:)
In love,
ak
Post a Comment