Saturday, December 28, 2013

Christmases

Last Saturday, Nathan and I spent the day with his family for Christmas.  It held all the necessary components a good Christmas gathering should: family, good food, Christmas cookies, pie, candy, presents, games and relaxing.  I had a headache through most of the day so I wasn’t able to enjoy it a much as I wanted to.  It was a wonderful time though. I got to hear Stephen play his bagpipes and watch Basil, the family kitten, tirelessly chase a laser. 

I worked Monday and Tuesday, Christmas eve.  They let us off work early so I made one final shopping trip, cleaned the house, unclogged a drain, and prepared Christmas-eve dinner. 


yah, ew. I know blame it on me.  
Most of my hair that comes out gets thrown in the trash, this is just all the little buggers that snuck by.

Anyway...
Everything was going as planned until Nathan called. 
He had run out of gas on the interstate.  So, I dropped everything I was doing, threw on some shoes, and drove to the farm.  Jake helped me fill a gas can and I headed off to find Nathan.  I ended up driving all the way to Tremont to get on the interstate going the right direction.

Supper was only an hour late and everything turned out fine. I wouldn’t recommend sparkling cranberry or sparkling pomegranate.  Neither are very good.


Our fancy table. 
When you can't burn candles- that's what you get. 


Here is our little Christmas tree with lots of gifts :)


Christmas day we went to Church and then over to my parent’s house.  We ate good food, played a few games, opened wonderful gifts, and sang our favorite selections from the Messiah and other Christmas songs. 
playing Village

Matt and Lena showing off the crowns that came in their Christmas poppers.

Cecily has one too :)


lots of presents 

what is it? :)

Dad in his strange new hat.

enjoying his gift of a motion activated candy dispenser. 

Poor Bob, everyone got him the same thing. 



Thursday evening we went to the Schlipf Christmas.  We ate the traditional potato soup and chili. I love soup. :)  We sang some  Christmas carols and then tried out Bethany and Jesse's new green-screen. 

We all got mittens from our California cousins. 
So,  here we are showing them off in some snowy mountains. :)

I worked Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, so between work and Christmases, I've been pretty busy. 
I did get some time to stop and think though. I was trying to decide what about Christmas would mean the most to my clients.  I think what would really mean the most to them is that Christ can understand their burden, their pain, and their rejection. While I tend to focus on the beautiful glorious part of Christmas, I tend to forget the comfort, healing, and sympathy that Christ brought. 

Isaiah 40:1-5
 Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God. Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem,and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD'S hand double for all her sins. The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain: And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

In Christ
~Michelle

No comments: