Saturday, January 25, 2014

All about my job

Thank you for your questions! :) They really are great. So, here you go- The Answers:

Can you explain what you do?
Well, Dad *cough*, this is kind of why I did the question format because it's hard to explain what I do.  :) But, I'll give it a shot.

Here is a bit of the basics of who I'm working with:
1. I work with clients between the ages of 17.5-21. 

2. I work with a ton of acronyms. 
DCFS- Department of Children and Family Services
DOC- Department of Corrections
IYC- Illinois Youth Corrections
JSO- Juvenile Sex Offender
SILP- Supervised Independent Living Placement (my program)
ILO- Independent Living Option (they live on their own in apartments)
TLP- Transitional Living Program (a transition from more restrictive residential group homes)

3. Vocabulary:
Emancipation- at the age of 21 my clients no longer receive government funding. They are released from ward-ship and are officially adults. 
Permanency- DCFS wants each client to have a goal of permanency somewhere. All of my clients' goals are to be independent. 

4. I have approximately 12 clients. 8 are DCFS, 4 are DOC. 

5. The DCFS clients usually come in to care through a few different ways.  
They have aged out of foster care.
They are the result of a failed adoption. The majority of my clients. 
They were living in residential- they were unable to be in foster care. 

6. The DOC clients are brought to us if they are released on parole and have nowhere to go. Either they don't have family or their family does not want them back.  A lot of them are JSO and offended against a family member. 
 
So, basically I get one of these clients and I am in charge of their case. 
 Each DCFS client has permanency hearing in court twice a year. I am in charge of writing the court report and testifying in court on their behalf and on behalf of the agency. 
I'm pretty much their mother. I help them get a drivers license, their birth certificate, and social security card. I help them fill out FAFSA and scholarship applications. I help them study for their GED, budget their money, and find jobs. 
And, then there is lovely DCFS paperwork. 

What percentage of your time is spent doing paperwork? Home visits? other?
As of now I probably spend the most of my time in the office either doing paperwork or making phone calls. We also spend a large part of our time in meetings. 
I'm required to meet with my clients once a week. Depending on my week that can take a lot of time or go very quickly. 
I probably only go to court, or other outside the office things, three or four times a month. 

What do you enjoy the most? The least?
First, what to I like the least- the paper work. It is very frustrating to spend so much time on something that helps the clients so little. 

What do I like the most- working directly with the clients. 
I love my clients. They are some of the roughest guys you'll ever meet but they are so sweet and fun. Their stories would break your heart.  
I love it when I feel like I've chipped away a little more at their hardness.  I love it when they respond to me. 
Also, see the next question. 

Do you clients open up about feelings/childhood/why they do what they do?
Some do open up.  But, most just try to forget their past. 
 It is very hard for them to open up to me, even if they trust me. They have had so many case worker's that they are afraid that they will get attached and I will leave. The first thing one of my client said to me was: " A you going to leave me?"  from a 20 year old, that's enough to break your heart. 

Then there are times when they do open up and it's beautiful. This is what one of my clients said to me the other day: 
"I wish I wasn't so angry all of the time. My former foster parents told me that God could take away my anger. I wish I could believe that. I do believe He could. But, believing isn't enough. I know I'd have to do more. You can't just say 'I believe', there is more to it than that.  I just don't think I could ever really believe. It's just so hard. I just want to turn my life around."
THIS is what I love about my job. 


I hope I answered all of your questions to your satisfaction. :) If you have more, feel free to ask. This makes great blog material. :)

In Christ
~Michelle

*the opinions, attitudes or ideas stated above are purely opinion and are not meant to portray the values of my place of work*- necessary legal disclaimer.  

2 comments:

Lena said...

Ooh, yay! That was a pretty good description! Thanks for taking the time to explain. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Great answers!
Renee