Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Lake of the Ozarks

This was my 23rd year of Wyss Vacation.  Every year I look forward to it, and wish it could last longer.

We stayed at Bass Point Resort in the Ozarks.  It was a really nice resort with lots of little cabins. Nathan and I shared a cabin with Kendra and Aaron.


a row of cabins


looking down to our little cabin


the play ground

One of the two pools

Funny story:  Meet the elephant of the kiddie pool.  A man at the pool pointed out that if you cover one of the jets in the main pool, the elephant's fountain sprays higher. He said he tricked his kids by telling them to yell "peanuts" when he plugged the jet.  So, I gave it a shot.  And sure enough, after a few tries, the kids, and a few adults, :) were shouting "peanuts" at the fountain, convinced it was voice activated. :)

PEANUTS! :)

meal time


The men loved this fishing dock.
 They would sit here for hours in the evening trading stories with other fishermen.  


One night some of the girls went star gazing. We sat on the roof of Matt and Lena's cabin :)


Cecily is such a cheese. 

I spent most of the week swimming, laying out or boating.   Austin, Matt, or Loren would take us tubing during the day.  I refuse to be too old for tubing, though I do feel the effects of little to no exercise. 





Early morning wake-boarding. Lake of the Ozarks is huge, and very choppy during the day. So, those of us who wanted to wake-board got up very early to try on smoother water.  The first morning I went out, the boat wouldn't start once we got to the middle of the lake. 

Trent reading the manual, trying to see what the problem could be. 

Tyler checking the fuses

Ron, Fred, and Troy had gone out early fishing and came to our aid. They tried to jump us.
It seems kind of dangerous to have jumper cables around so much water. 

Finally, they ended up towing us in. No wake-boarding that morning :(

At least I got to see this beautiful sunrise :)



The boys spent most of their time playing nerdy games. 
settlers.

the kids enjoyed the playground



Minute to win it:  So, I've seen other families and large groups do these games before, and thought it would be fun to try. Clayton and I with the help of Lena and other cousins, planned a few timed games to try as a group.  We split off in to 4 teams and battled against each other. It was quite hilarious. 

Game 1- Oreos.  How many team members can move an Oreo from their forehead to their mouth without using their hands. 




Grandma even tried :)
Game 2- Orange. Trying to pass an orange through as many people as possible by using your chin. 
don't drop it!


kary has it :)


This team knew what they were doing :)

Game 3- Kleenex. Who can empty the box first?


The four competitors. 


Shane won. :)

Game 4- ? using an orange in a pair of pantyhose on your head, see how many bottles of water you can knock down :).  This was quite hilarious to watch, even though it was getting very hot at this point. 



And there were a few other games as well which I didn't get pictures of.  The losing team was supposed to jump in the pool with their clothes on. I'm pretty sure no one from the losing team did. Only a few of us who thought it would be fun, actually jumped in. :)


Way to go Carli and Kayla! :) Clothes can dry. :)



Cecily and I had a blast during the week. :) I took her out on the kayakboat and on Alyssa's paddle board.  She even got a few rides on uncle ron's boat. 


She loved it. Even though she acted as if it was so normal it was almost boring. :) 


some of us played bags in the evenings. I am not good. at all. 





Some of the cousins wanted to get a 'tan tattoo' and drew shapes on themselves with sharpies. Mostly the sharpies washed off in the water and they ended up just drawing on random stuff just for fun. 

Cecily joined in the fun by coloring Lena's toes and my feet. So sorry Jenny. :)


Lena and I had a bit of fun with Carli and Kayla. 

And, then of course, was the moment when Lena, Jenny, and I got hit on by two 16 year old boys. They came up and asked us if we would like to play pool with them, for money. And, then they wouldn't leave after we said no.  After learning our ages and marital status, Lena did a marvelous job telling them that they would never see us again so they could leave and talk it off.   The poor boys were definitely "barking up the wrong tree" as one of them pointed out.  I was friendly to them the rest of the week, but I think they felt a bit sheepish. :) Maybe it will teach them not to hit on random girls. 

The week was over before we knew it and packing up began. 



Nathan and I were grandpa and Grandma's chauffeurs there and back.  It was nice to spend the time with them and help out where we could. 

Every year I feel so blessed by how close our family is.  Every year it makes me so thankful for grandparents who are such good examples and who care so much about us.  

In Christ
~Michelle

No comments: