On Tuesday, we rode the Beal and Bunker mail boat out to the Cranberry Islands. We took the 7:30 boat out, which is mainly taken by locals- contractors, plumbers, shop keepers, etc. We met a woman who gave us tips on where to go and what to eat on the Islands.
On the ride, school children joined us. The boat is not only the mail boat, and the taxi for local workers, it's the school bus. Great Cranberry Island has a school for all of the Cranberry Islands, about 16 children attend school on the Islands.
our boat
Quiet morning in the harbor.
We stopped on Islesford (little cranberry) first.
Islesford harbor
Post office.
(for you Jenny)
Cranberry Islands school
Museum
beautiful low tide shore
the docks
Fudge. Home made by a shop owner.
It was the best fudge ever. :)
After Islesford, we headed to Great Cranberry Island.
mail on the mail boat
beautiful views
A lobster roll.
Not my favorite version of lobster, but it's a cultural must try. :)
we took a few short walk/hikes
yet again, stunning.
tide pool
It's so pretty
The Islands were great. It makes me want to go and live on them. The people are so interdependent and removed from everyday life. They are all like a big family. They know the mail boat drivers and workers who boat in. The kids get to ride the boat to school... and the list goes on. And, I haven't even mentioned the awesome views. :)
I will leave you with this hilarious sign.
It was posted next to the school. hehe. There could be so many interpretations of this
End Part 3
To be continued...
In Christ
~Michelle
2 comments:
So you took a picture of the post office but not of the cemetery? I'm offended. Also, I think you probably "rode" or even possibly "rowed" the mail boat, but probably not "road."
...sigh, sorry no pictures of cemeteries. and I shall fix that.
Post a Comment