Friday, September 25, 2015

Our Maine Vacation:Part 6: The Road Home

Leaving Acadia wasn't actually the end of our trip.   The captain of the lobster boat had suggested teh Maine Lighthouse Museum. And,  well, I like lighthouses.  
poor Nathan. :)

There were large models of nearly every lighthouse in Maine.

These are some of the lamps used.

There were stories of light house keepers, information on the lights, the towers, shipwrecks, lightships, and everything else pertaining to lighthouses.  We didn't stay long, but it was pretty cool and worth the stop. 

Our next stop on the way back was the Newport Mansions in Rhode Island.   We stopped at The Breakers.  


Maybe Nathan's family dropped the 'e' a few generations back...:)

Actually the Breakers was just the name of the mansion. The Vanderbilt family built and owned it.  I's built on a cliff overlooking the ocean, has 70 bedrooms, 125,000 square feet, and is incredibly beautiful. The rooms were decorated with gold and platinum wall panelings. 




the back yard


:)



From there we pretty much drove straight home.  

a foggy morning in Pennsylvania

It was a wonderful trip.  A week away from the busyness of work and everyday life in such a beautiful place.  I hope I can go back someday.

In Christ
~Michelle

No comments: