Sunday, November 8, 2015

Duncan Manor

Last Sunday evening, Aaron and Kendra invited us over for pizza with Wendi and Henry. William and Henry were pretty much the center of attention.:) 

Last Tuesday, I had to stay late at work to take my parenting clients to a parenting class. So, while they were in class I went shopping.  I didn't get anything but I gathered Christmas ideas. I've been in a search ever since we got married, for a painting or picture for above our couch.  I haven't been impressed with anything I've seen so far. I think I'm too picky. We've been in our house over a year, and I still have random fabric covering the windows in our bedroom. I just can't decide on curtains. 

Friday night, Nathan and I planned to go to Timber Ridge for a singing with the residents. Nathan listened to my terrible suggestion and we decided to take the interstate.  We left home at 6:45 and didn't make it to Morton until 7:30. Apparently they have started closing the interstate to one lane at night. We didn't make it to the singing. 
the traffic backed up for miles.


Saturday, I had an extremely productive day. We cleaned the gutters and finished raking some of the leaves, cleaned the house,  and I baked bread for potluck in the morning.  In the afternoon,  Jenny, the girls, mom, and I went to Duncan Manor.

Duncan Manor is near Towanda, IL not far outside of Bloomington. It was built by the William Duncan in 1869. It was for sale for a few years and was pretty run down. Someone recently bought it and they are fixing it up. They have open house tours to raise money to restore it. 

Duncan Manor :)

sigh. just look at those beautiful windows.




servant's stair case

the view from the front porch. 

Emmy liked the couch.

beautiful exposed brick.


this was the children's room on the 3rd floor.

the attic 

the full grand stair case. 

The door to the basement. 
 It would have been such a cute picture, but Cecily didn't feel like posing. 

The back...maybe technically the front. 

Emmy enjoyed being outside.

Attempt at another picture

:)

If only...:) 
It is such a beautiful house. I'm glad someone is fixing it up.

The inside of the original barn.


Saturday evening, we  went to Max and Mary's for potluck.  Ed and Barb were there and they told their engagement story. It was a wonderful testimony of God's faithfulness. It was also quite humorous at times:) 

This afternoon (Sunday), we went over to the farm. Kay and Larry, my relatives, were in town so my parents had an open house for the family to stop by and see them.  I don't see that side of the family very often, but it was good.  Us "kids" have grown up a bit and it makes it easier to connect on an adult level. Where, when we were kids we didn't have much in common and being shy, I didn't really want to get to know them. 

In Christ
~Michelle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the updates. Thanks for sharing. Like the pics and enticing me to visit the manor and see the girls! I love to go through old "mansions" and see the different architecture and be amazed and the details they put into it in the past.
Take your time. Something special will come along. I think it is the style and colors that are in now that hold you back.
love, ak