Tuesday, October 18, 2011

World Traveler

Well, It's really going to happen.


I'm (Lord willing) going to India!!!! :)

I'm studying abroad with the Social Work program this winter.
I will be visiting:


-          a leprosy asylum – a community for people with Hansen's disease and their families;
-     the Mahasemam Trust of Madurai a microfinance organization
-          an organization that works with sex workers and provides a HIV/Aids prevention program;
-    The Meenekshi Mission Hospital has 43 specialties including pediatric oncology, palliative care and hospice, Telemedicine, and health camps for poor children.
-          Habitat for Humanity houses built for Mahasemam clients and their families;
-          The Aravind Eye Hospital whose mission is to end unnecessary blindness with a focus on the poor
-          Thalir Thiran Thittm (Aparajitha Foundation), which has developed a life skills education program for children in the 7th through 12th grades

Eek :)!!!  I'm extremely excited but also very nervous.  It's going to be a lot of work and I'll see a lot of poverty. 

So that's my exciting news for the day.

In Christ
~Michelle

Prayers are appreciated

6 comments:

Wendi said...

YAY! Shelly this is so exciting! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds super interesting! Are any of our connections (from Dr. Parkhe or the Indy Zeller girl, etc.) near there?

Michelle said...

I'm not really sure. We will be traveling around the southern part mostly. And we are flying in and out of chennai...but I don't know where they are.

Old Farmer said...

Have we figured out how we are going to pay for this yet?

Jenny said...

jealous, jealous, jealous

Michelle said...

oh dad! i thought you were!!! :) hehehe just kidding! :)