Wednesday, October 10, 2012

biting off more than I could chew

So, over the past year or so, the wall paper in the bathroom has been detaching itself from the wall. It's been bugging me and, after pulling down wallpaper at Matt and Lena's I thought, how hard could it be? It was practically pulling itself off the wall so, it wouldn't be hard at all to pull it down and then repaint. Right?
Wrong. 

Sigh. When will I ever learn? (never. I love fixing things up too much :)  )

Well,  after getting the approval of my roommates I could restrain myself no longer. At 6:00pm last Thursday  I started to pull it down. 

The first layer came off easy...

I forgot to take a before pic. But, this is what the wallpaper looked like.

...Until, I tried to straddle the tub. I kind of used the soap dish as a foothold. And in one crash, I fell and the soap dish was no longer in the wall.

duct tape, always a great quick fix. :)
When it came out of the wall, a lot of water did too. Our downstairs neighbors had been complaining that water was dripping from the ceiling when we showered. I think I found the source. 

I knew there was some mold under the wallpaper but, I had no idea how much. When I began taking down the second layer this is what I discovered:


all those black dots -
very fuzzy black mold showing through the paper.

So, at about this point, when there is wall paper shreads all over the floor, wallpaper in many different stages of removal still on the wall, mold like crazy, and a broken soap dish, Laura and I decided this would NOT be the time for Ron (our landlord) to stop by. 


I'm not even exaggerating, two minutes later the doorbell rang. It was Ron. And he wanted to talk to us about our bathroom. um. heart attack. 
Thankfully, he didn't come up. He was just asking us about our neighbor's dripping problem. We didn't tell him then that we knew what was happening. :)

So, by then it was time to leave for a yg thing. 
On the way back we bought bleach. 
I stayed up late scrubbing down the walls and pulling off the rest of the wallpaper.



Friday morning, after a couple of frantic calls home, mom and Lena came over to help me get the bathroom back together (and go shopping for an interview suit!). 
We cleaned up the walls, spackled all of the holes in the wall, and finished one coat of mold killing paint. 

After shopping I got back and started painting again... and realized I didn't have any paint rollers. So, I took a trip to Lowe's.
I got back just in time to leave for Manger's wiener roast. The painting was going to have to wait until after the weekend.

Monday, I finally finish painting the bathroom. And I called Ron and told him about the soap dish. 
He came over today to look at it. I don't think he even noticed the paint. But, he was impressed by our ingenuity with the soap dish.
duct tape and saran wrap.

And here it is, the finished bathroom!
It looks so good! :)

Except, since our bathroom fan doesn't work and the paint isn't exactly meant for bathrooms it has streaks in it from all the steam. :( sigh....

Oh, well. It still looks way better than it did before. And, I'm slightly exhausted.

In Christ
~Michelle

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Haha... what is it with soap dishes falling out of the wall?

It does look so much better!

Our bathroom paint is streaky too and it's satin that's supposed to work in bathrooms. I think it might be partly a hard water problem.

Grant and Hannah Herrmann said...

michelle, I LOVED this post. it reminded me of how most of my projects go, only maybe a little bit worse. :) the finished product looks great, though. love, hannah

Michelle said...

:) thanks Hannah! :)