Monday, November 26, 2012

There and back again...

Well. I've been to Haiti and back. :)

It was such a wonderful, uplifting, amazing trip. I absolutely loved every minute and every experience of it.

I flew from Indianapolis to Miami, spent the night and then flew from Miami to Port Au Prince. Jessica W, Becky P. and her son, Rich, daughter-in-law, Amber, and their children (who live in Haiti) flew with me.

We spent the night in Miami both ways. Jessica and I are both poor college students, so we got a really cheap hotel. It was kind of gross and in a very interesting area of Miami. Let's just say one of the stores nearby had a sign that said "bail bonds here." :)

We got to Port Au Prince on Saturday and drove across the mountains to Bonne Fin.  They drive pretty crazy   but it wasn't too bad. The Haitian landscape is absolutely beautiful. It's just astounding how such utter poverty can be right next to such beauty. 

Sunday, we went to church in Tet Simone, ate lunch twice, and spent the evening on the beach. Port Salut is absolutely beautiful.
Monday through Wednesday we did random work around the hospital, went to the market, and took a couple of hikes. Jessica, Janelle, and I were together most of the time. We helped set up the Cholera ward, sort surgical instruments, clean out a shed, and do odds and ends for Sheila. 
Mona, the guest house cook and cleaning lady, cooked us breakfast, lunch, and supper almost every day. Mornings stated with breakfast at 7:00 and devotions at the hospital at 7:30.  

 Thursday, our last day, was Thanksgiving in Cayes. Once we got to Cayes, we took a very wet four-wheeler ride around the compound. We visited Haitian Linens and a little shop.  Thanksgiving meal was awesome, missionaries from all over the area came together.  After we ate people got up and said what they were thankful for. It was really cool to hear what other missionaries were doing. And the food was awesome. :)


Our hotel in Miami
view from the airplane 

ready for surgery 
me, Jessica, Janelle



tarantula...I couldn't get much closer

hike to the hydro-plant 

mountains beyond mountains...

Port Salut

all of the missionaries at Thanksgiving



Me, Becky, and Jessica back in Miami

I'm so thankful that I was able to go. It's amazing all that is being done in Haiti and it was so uplifting to see how the church is growing. 

In Christ
~Michelle

2 comments:

Heather Steiner said...

Can't believe it's all over already! boy, it was a good week - thanks for coming :)

Michelle said...

it was an awesome week :) I'm sooo glad it worked out!