Thursday, June 6, 2013

Court Date

Yesterday, I got to go to Adoption Court with my internship. It was awesome.

First off, old court houses are beautiful. 
Second, I love dressing up.
Third, adoptions are just awesome. 

I had read through the whole case file on this family a couple weeks ago, so I felt like I knew them.  It was a relative adoption of four adorable little kids. 

One of the younger kids watched his birth parent get arrested right in front him. It was obvious he was trying very hard not to be afraid of the many police officers that were in and out of the court rooms. He kept saying "there's a police man, but he's not going to arrest me." Or "there's a police man, he's not going to put me in jail, he's working."

At one point, the elevator opened and three convicts, escorted by two very buff police men, walked out. The little boy shouted "look! there's three bad guys, and they're dressed in orange just like on TV!" Just as they we walking through the courtroom doors one of the officers quickly turned around, grinned and waved at the little boy. It was hilarious. 

The hearing itself lasted only a few minutes. And, each of the children got to wave their hand when their name was called. I think the Judge fully enjoyed watching the kids more than what was actually going on in the hearing. I did too. :)

When they finally pronounced the children legally adopted, the oldest two cheered and the adoptive parents burst into tears. :)

I love my internship.

In Christ
~Michelle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My sister, Jill, just had their court date to officially adopt their son (who had been their foster child). She was SO thankful for the wonderful social worker that worked with them. God will be able to use you in a lot of ways!
Renee