Saturday, June 1, 2013

Internship

This is for those of you who are wondering.

This summer I got an internship at CYFS, a foster care and adoption agency, in Champaign. Three days a  week I work with the  Adoption Specialist. 

So far, I've been doing a lot of practice cases but, I have started working on a real one! I get a case file (a huge folder) filled with information on the birth parents, mental health and medical histories, criminal records, the adoptive parents histories, the child's history in foster care, and court records. Then, I type up a huge assessment (10-14 pages per child) basically summarizing their file for the court. 

I've come across some crazy cases already.  Its really cool to see children getting a chance at a better life, but sometimes the adoptive parents only seem like a slightly better life. (Insert: soapbox about how more good Christian families should adopt!)

In the future, I think in a few weeks actually, I get to go to a few court dates. I'm extremely excited. I get to see adoptions take place! :)  And, I may get to go on some home visits. 

It's pretty much a desk job, but I love it.  And, if they offer me a job at the end of this, I might just take it. :)

In Christ
~Michelle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that sounds a lot like what my sister marti does and she seems to like it. it would be so cool if you got a job there!!!
emily