Friday, October 31, 2014

I went to Jail

Well, this has been an interesting week. Just when I was saying I didn't feel like much was happening at work...I feel like I was hit by a brick wall of craziness.  But, I got through and I love my job even more. 

After last week's craziness, I was hoping that this week would be a bit more calm. However, it was full of answered prayers. Client #2 (from last week's post) called on Monday and he found a place to live.  I did a mad dash and got some paperwork completed and sent in requesting for rental assistance. Tuesday, the last day he was eligible, he got excepted. Today, the check came in, he signed the lease and is moving out of his apartment, just in time. :)  We talked today and I think he realizes what a miracle all of this was. 

Anyway, to my main story.  
I got in to work on Wednesday to news that two of my DJJ/ parolee clients and one other client had been caught sneaking out late at night, and had been stealing from cars.  I walked in on the parole officer arresting one of  the two clients. I've never seen anyone arrested before and it was kind of a shock.  My other client also was arrested.   I switched between anger and annoyance at the boys for being so stupid, feeling glad that they got the consequence they deserved,  and feeling sad.  I liked those kids. One was doing really pretty well in the program and he was going to college.  I was angry at him for messing it up and sad that he did. 

Today, the therapist and I went to  visit the second client in jail.  We got ushered in behind many locked doors slamming behind us.  When he walked in to the visiting room, his head hung low.  I don't think I can remember ever seeing someone so broken in my life.   As we talked, he cried.  We asked him how he was feeling. He said it was the worst feeling in the world.  I prayed and God answered. He opened the door to a beautiful conversation.  
The therapist asked if he could explain the feeling.
 "Disappointed, scared, angry, sad... lost." He stared at the table and sobbed. 
I was so thankful for the therapist at that moment. She asked him if he had religion, if he prayed. He told us he believed in God and Jesus, and that he had prayed all night.  He kept saying that he needed to change. So, together we encouraged him to pray and to cry out to God. I told him that Christ would be his comforter, and that in Christ he could change.  The therapist left him names of songs to listen to, and we encouraged him to go to church in prison. 

As I left and the doors clicked behind me, I thought that I may never see him again. He'll be shipped out to prison come Sunday, and from there, who knows.  I hope and pray that in his broken state he can seek Christ. 

In Christ
~Michelle

No comments: