Last night was the new BSW student orientation/diversity training. Diversity training. Ah! Yah. If you have never attended diversity training before, you probably don't understand my apprehension. Often, these training sessions are more about tolerating/advancing the rights of people-who-chose-to-partake-in-activities-I-find-more-than-disagreeable, than they are about actual diversity among people.
We split up in groups of five or six and taught each other about our own culture. My group was awesome. I was the lone white girl in a group with a Chinese girl, three (to be p.c.) American women of African decent (hehe :) and I can call myself a white girl), and a Mexican guy. All, of whom came from Chicago. We were given a list of topics to discuss about our culture: death, food, marriage, birth etc. So we went around the circle talking about family, foods, and marriage traditions.
So, my turn. I talked about living on a farm. They of course were impressed. :) Then...one of those moments you wish you could catch the words before they come out of your mouth.... "um, we do marriage a little differently..." :) I talked about how I've never dated, how I look to Christ, how I desire to marry through faith, I talked about purity, I talked about prayer. At the end I mumbled something about how it might seem strange, and one of the girls stood up and said "Hon, No, you got it right, we all gots it wrong, and don't let nobody ever tell you different. You Innocent and that's good!"
Wow. I went into this program really nervous, that I would be alone. Before the training started we ate supper together, and as I bowed my head to pray I saw another girl already praying. And, then this. :)
Anyway, the meeting and classes so far, they are all going so much better than I thought.
Well, the meeting ended at 7, so I ran back to my apartment and made it to church by 7:20. woohoo! And then the yg went out for ice cream. Class went well today and this evening I'm off to sing at the shaker. So, the first week seems to be flying by.
The Lord provides.
In Christ
~Michelle
3 comments:
so glad for you shell! have a good friday...and weekend!
wiegs
that is SO great!
How precious!
K.
Post a Comment