So, my trusty laptop caught a virus yesterday.
I had just gotten on to the computer and I was looking something up on google maps when suddenly....everything just shut down. I couldn't open any file and I couldn't open the internet.
So after freaking out a lot and calling my dad almost in tears (because I had a ton of homework that I couldn't access any more). I decided to contact the University's computer help desk.
I used my roommates laptop and chatted with one of the computer guys. I have never felt so computer illiterate before. He asked me all sorts of questions that I had to answer with "...I think" or "what does that mean?"
Anyway, he concluded that I had an anti-virus. Don't ask me what that means, I still don't really know. And, he told me to go in and pick up a virus cleaner disc.
This morning I woke up early and drove to the Digital Computer Lab just in time for it to open. I had to call the help desk to figure out how to 'boot up' as the disk instead of Windows. I finally scanned my computer, which took a total of 3 hours, and it didn't find anything. So, I called the help desk. They told me I should down load two different virus scanners.
So after I got back from class, called the help desk again, left for volunteering, called the help desk again, used my roommates laptop to download these scanners from her internet onto my flash drive which I transferred onto my computer, and then called the help desk again...I was kind of going crazy.
The poor help desk guys...I bet they were sitting around drawing straws to see who had to talk to me next. By the end of the whole thing I knew all of their names. There was J.D, Jake, Michael, Dan, and Josh.
I bet its not everyday that they get a someone hyperventilating with excitement that "OH. Wait....those thingies on the side of my computer...they came back! Does that mean it's fixed?!...(a moment of holding my breath) eeee....My internet works!"
Anyway. Long story short, my computer is back in business. :)
In Christ
~Michelle
I had just gotten on to the computer and I was looking something up on google maps when suddenly....everything just shut down. I couldn't open any file and I couldn't open the internet.
So after freaking out a lot and calling my dad almost in tears (because I had a ton of homework that I couldn't access any more). I decided to contact the University's computer help desk.
I used my roommates laptop and chatted with one of the computer guys. I have never felt so computer illiterate before. He asked me all sorts of questions that I had to answer with "...I think" or "what does that mean?"
Anyway, he concluded that I had an anti-virus. Don't ask me what that means, I still don't really know. And, he told me to go in and pick up a virus cleaner disc.
This morning I woke up early and drove to the Digital Computer Lab just in time for it to open. I had to call the help desk to figure out how to 'boot up' as the disk instead of Windows. I finally scanned my computer, which took a total of 3 hours, and it didn't find anything. So, I called the help desk. They told me I should down load two different virus scanners.
So after I got back from class, called the help desk again, left for volunteering, called the help desk again, used my roommates laptop to download these scanners from her internet onto my flash drive which I transferred onto my computer, and then called the help desk again...I was kind of going crazy.
The poor help desk guys...I bet they were sitting around drawing straws to see who had to talk to me next. By the end of the whole thing I knew all of their names. There was J.D, Jake, Michael, Dan, and Josh.
I bet its not everyday that they get a someone hyperventilating with excitement that "OH. Wait....those thingies on the side of my computer...they came back! Does that mean it's fixed?!...(a moment of holding my breath) eeee....My internet works!"
Anyway. Long story short, my computer is back in business. :)
In Christ
~Michelle
2 comments:
I got one this week too but haven't gotten it fixed yet.
It won't do anything so I know how you feel. :/
I loved the comment about the help desk guys:) I think that I have caused the same feelings.
Enjoyed catching up with blog. I saw the word virus and thought that you had caught the "flu" too. It was probably better that it was the computer, although it might have taken as much time:)
Have a good week.
Aunt k.
Post a Comment