"A religion that challenges the culture of a people is not a good religion."
This was said praising the Catholic church for conforming to Hinduism in India. In other words... our culture should dictate our religion.
From my own experience in India Christians look way different. Indian culture is Hinduism and vise versa. Christians turn their backs on everything. What they eat, what flowers they wear, what holidays they participate in, names they name their children...and on and on.
Anyway, I don't mean to tear anyone down or raise myself up but it's been on my mind and I thought I'd share.
In Christ
~Michelle
This was said praising the Catholic church for conforming to Hinduism in India. In other words... our culture should dictate our religion.
| Here is an example my professor even gave. The garland of flowers most commonly used in Hindu worship on the statue of a saint. |
Oh. He has it so wrong.
A religion, Christianity, should challenge our culture. If we aren't challenging those around us, even other Christians, then we are conforming too much. Our religion should not be dictated by society, by culture, but the other way around.
From my own experience in India Christians look way different. Indian culture is Hinduism and vise versa. Christians turn their backs on everything. What they eat, what flowers they wear, what holidays they participate in, names they name their children...and on and on.
His statement was a challenge to me. Not in a bad way.
It made me think. In my words I totally disagree with his statement but in my actions...? Where do I let the mainstream American do-it-myself I-don't-need-help materialistic etc. culture dictate how I walk with Christ?
So, Professor, if you were trying to make me back down on my faith. I am not sorry to say you have made me do the opposite.
Anyway, I don't mean to tear anyone down or raise myself up but it's been on my mind and I thought I'd share.
~Michelle
No comments:
Post a Comment