Sunday, September 16, 2012

picnic, painting, picnic

Last week was full to the brim with activity. (beware, this is quite long and wordy, I'm covering about 3 blogs worth...have fun) 

Besides regular yg activities, nursing home sing on Tuesday, singing on Thursday there was a whole bunch of other things going on. 

Wednesday was the Illini grove picnic. It's an annual picnic for the Champaign church and students. Though the yg officers were in charge of it we really didn't have to do much. I was in charge of the drinks and table service. The guys brought the burgers...an hour late, after nearly burning down the shaker. :)  The burgers were great though and everyone seemed to have a good time. 

Thursday after the yg thing I normally would drive home but, Katie and I decided to paint our apartment Saturday so, I decided to stay down for the whole weekend. 
Friday, after sleeping in :) I got a call from my dad "blah blah (financial stuff that totally confuses me) you need to call the financial aid office." Anyway, I called and it turned out I hadn't filed my FAFSA. So, I have to wait to apply for a loan until I complete my FAFSA and have it reviewed, and then they have to wait 10 days before they will deposit the money into my account. Oh, and I only have 14 days to do this. 
Minor freak out. So...I ended up driving home Friday afternoon, finishing my FAFSA with a lot of help from my dad (thank you) and now I'm just waiting for the loan to be approved.

Friday night Washington yg had a singing at our house. It was really nice to be home for that.

Saturday, I got up early and drove back to Champaign. Katie and I started painting around 11:30. Sharnell brought us pizza for lunch and helped us for a while. 
All ready to paint!
Before

After

another view
I LOVE the map :)

before shot of the dining room
after

I love the way it makes the trim pop.

 It's not a very big difference. But, it looks so nice.

Today was the New Student Welcome. I was in charge of the food. 110 people had RSVPed so, naturally I rounded up to 120 and sent Katie to get 120 buns. Well today I started freaking out. What if people come that didn't RSVP? What if 120 come but they want seconds? What if I counted wrong?- What if we run out of food! Oh the shame, the horrors of being in charge of an AC function that runs out of food. 
So, I made Dave buy 30 more buns. 
120 people did not come to the picnic. It was more like 80. We had food left over. sigh. :)
The picnic went really well. We have a great group this year and I enjoy being around their parents. 

This year's U of I yg
(Not pictured: approximately 8 students, and 5 graduated )

In Christ
~Michelle

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Oooo, the map looks so cool there!! I knew it would. :D

Brittany F said...

Aww, Michelle, way to make me miss people! Last month Tess and I visited Tiara's sister, Jenna, for invite-a-friend in Oregon. :) And by the way, the painting looks very nice -- I agree that the contrast between the walls and trim is quite pretty!