Today was the first day of really being an adult. I went to work.
It was mainly orientation all day today, filling out tons of paperwork and getting confused and overwhelmed. It's a whole lot like syllabus day in college. You feel like you accomplish nothing and see everything that has to be done.
Ah, well. It will all get done. It's just a bunch of things I have to do in this first week of employment.
To answer some questions:
I think I'm going to like my team and my supervisor seems really approachable.
I am part of the supervised independent living program (SILP) for the Peoria Children's Home and I'll be working with 17-20 males.
I really don't know much about what I'll be actually doing.
My hours are relatively flexible. I'll mostly be working from 8:00 or 8:30 to 4:30 or 5:00.
I really feel that God has placed me there. I applied for a position in foster care and the SILP supervisor picked up my resume and asked if he could interview me instead. The interview went really well. The other workers really liked me and before I knew it, I had a job offer.
It's not what I would have chosen.
But, It seemed as if God kept telling me "these are the least of these. Go serve them." It really is these kid's last chance before they spend the rest of their lives in and out of prison.
Please, don't be scared for me. Yes, this is a dangerous area of town. Yes, these are the "roughest kids in Peoria" (as stated by my supervisor). But, God will protect me. He has protected me in the past and he will again. This is for His glory, not mine. I did not go into social work for the comfort and safety.
Anyway.
For those of you who get squeamish at the sight of anything sappy-read no farther.
So, tonight while I lay languishing in my bed with a pounding headache, (The headache could have been a result of the long day at work, dehydration, bad posture, being hungry, or the incessant beeping of the fire alarms (no, I didn't burn anything) that took Nathan and I way to long to turn off. Seriously those things could drive a person absolutely insane.) Nathan did all the dishes, made my lunch for tomorrow, and scrubbed the kitchen floor.
:)
He is so awesome.
God has truly blessed me.
In Christ
~Michelle
It was mainly orientation all day today, filling out tons of paperwork and getting confused and overwhelmed. It's a whole lot like syllabus day in college. You feel like you accomplish nothing and see everything that has to be done.
Ah, well. It will all get done. It's just a bunch of things I have to do in this first week of employment.
To answer some questions:
I think I'm going to like my team and my supervisor seems really approachable.
I am part of the supervised independent living program (SILP) for the Peoria Children's Home and I'll be working with 17-20 males.
I really don't know much about what I'll be actually doing.
My hours are relatively flexible. I'll mostly be working from 8:00 or 8:30 to 4:30 or 5:00.
I really feel that God has placed me there. I applied for a position in foster care and the SILP supervisor picked up my resume and asked if he could interview me instead. The interview went really well. The other workers really liked me and before I knew it, I had a job offer.
It's not what I would have chosen.
But, It seemed as if God kept telling me "these are the least of these. Go serve them." It really is these kid's last chance before they spend the rest of their lives in and out of prison.
Please, don't be scared for me. Yes, this is a dangerous area of town. Yes, these are the "roughest kids in Peoria" (as stated by my supervisor). But, God will protect me. He has protected me in the past and he will again. This is for His glory, not mine. I did not go into social work for the comfort and safety.
Anyway.
For those of you who get squeamish at the sight of anything sappy-read no farther.
So, tonight while I lay languishing in my bed with a pounding headache, (The headache could have been a result of the long day at work, dehydration, bad posture, being hungry, or the incessant beeping of the fire alarms (no, I didn't burn anything) that took Nathan and I way to long to turn off. Seriously those things could drive a person absolutely insane.) Nathan did all the dishes, made my lunch for tomorrow, and scrubbed the kitchen floor.
:)
He is so awesome.
God has truly blessed me.
In Christ
~Michelle
3 comments:
Crazy having a big girl job isn't it!?
That happened to me the first day at Homeway and it was so tough to stay there all day with a pounding headache and nausea! I thought how bad it would look if I went home my first day! Congrats on the new job too!
-Katie Rasmussen
Ned told me that you were starting a job. Glad to hear the details! Sounds like a wonderful opportunity. May God bless the work.
Ned also told me that he missed you at the farm the past weekend.
ak
Post a Comment