Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sacred Harp

So, over the past few weekends whenever I'm home Matt, Jake, mom, and I and sometimes Jenny have been trying out a very old form of singing. It's called Shape note singing. It is so much fun to sing. They are all hymns from the Sacred Harp hymnal. 

The first verse is sung on solfege notes (shape notes) so that everyone can learn the song before you go into the verses.
Traditionally singers sit in a square with a part per side. The leader stands in the middle to keep the beat.

Here are a few examples:



Just stomp your foot and sing along. :) Doesn't it just make you want to go live in the Appalachians? 

Anyway, hope you enjoy it.

In Christ 
~Michelle 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I am missing something. If you learn the song and have a leader, why does it sound so different? A.K.