Neighborhood House
I've been volunteering at the N.H. in Peoria every Monday and Wednesday for a few months now. It has a daycare, soup kitchen, and after school programs. I've been working with the two-year-old's in daycare and have definitely had my eyes opened. The other day I took baby pigs in to show the kids. I walked in the room with a big box and made all the little kids sit in a circle around it. When I opened the lid one of the little girls screamed "puppies!" um...yikes.( What kind of parent doesn't teach their child to distinguish between puppies and pigs.) :) Anyway, for the next two hours the kids wouldn't leave the piglets alone. They'd stare into the box screaming... and rupture my ear drums.
I work with a girl who grew up in S. side Peoria, she looked at me as if I was a hero when I informed her that yes, believe it or not, I live on a pig farm. One grandma came in to pick a little girl up and informed me that she had never seen a real live pig in her life! So, I think its about time some one starts a Farm Animals 101 class, featuring real live farm animals...
yup, they love me now :)
In Christ
~Michelle
2 comments:
Can I be one of the teachers?
haha... dad, that's what you can do when you retire- teach farming 101 in the city. :)
Post a Comment