Friday, December 30, 2011

Day 2- Road Trip

Today we got up early and checked out of our rooms at the blossom hotel. Breakfast was at 8:00 and we loaded the buses around 10. 

The sights along the road to Madurai were like nothing I had ever seen.  It was pouring down rain. There were people riding motor cycles holding umbrellas. The streets were deep with water. They walk or ride motor cycles here and most people don’t wear shoes. They wait under over passes and along the road.   Cows are everywhere as well as stray dogs.  The craziest thing to me is the amount of trash along the road.  Everywhere you look there are plies of trash.

We stopped at a restaurant alongside the road.  The food was amazing.  We ate off of banana leaves with our hands.  There was a pile of rice in the middle and a few sauces around the side. It was incredibly messy especially because you can only use your right hand.
I fell asleep after that and I don’t remember much else of the drive.
We made it to our hotel in Madurai around 8:00pm. Here we were greeted by a woman who marked our foreheads with red paint and then we were each presented with a garland around our necks. 

The hospitality and service here is incredible. They do everything for you.  It gets kind of frustrating because I'd rather do it myself.

Its only my second day but it feels like I've been gone a for a week already.

In Christ
~Michelle

No comments: