Thursday, December 29, 2011

India Day 1

The day was spent in Chennai sightseeing and shopping. We started the day out with a traditional Indian breakfast.  There were two different pancake looking dishes one was extremely spicy and the other bland. They had donut shaped things that were also spicy. Since I forgot my water and we aren’t supposed to drink tap water I didn’t eat much. 
We went to a local bazzar shopping center thing and all of the girls bought Saris to where on New Years.
We then went to the St. Thomas church where the bones of the disciple Thomas are supposed to be buried.  It was cool.  We took our shoes off to go in.  It was strange walking around a large cathedral barefoot, but it definitely made the experience really interesting.
From there we drove to the beach. Supposedly there is a cyclone rolling in and the waves were huge. Because of the cyclone, it rained most of the day.   
It’s strange here. Every one stares and the kids beg for pictures. They are so cute.  At the beach there was a man videotaping our group and laughing at us. We must look extremely odd to them.
I got to take a long nap in the afternoon. I feel so much better.

Things I have learned:
  • How to tie a sari
  • The honking has a purpose- they don’t have lanes so they honk whenever they are going to pass someone or need to merge.
  • Indians really don’t follow a time table. The come and go whenever. I’m so not used to it. Everything is a hour later and it’s perfectly normal.
Anyway, things are going fine. I'm not adjusted to the time zone yet but hopefully it will come. The food is good but I can't take much of it at a time. I'm very thankful for the granola bars I brought.

Tomorrow we are traveling to Madurai where we will stay for the rest of the time.

In Christ
~Michelle

No comments: