Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day 4- coconuts monkeys and bats

The day began by sleeping in and spending time at the hotel relaxing.  It’s Sunday, as well as New Years day. We didn’t have any plans until 2:00 so, I listened to a few sermons.  Everyone else slept in later than I did- results of the night before- so, I got the living room area all to myself.

In the afternoon we loaded the buses and drove into the mountains.  We stopped at a school that some will be studying at these next few days. They gave us each a coconut to drink from and eat.  I’m still not sure if I like it or not.

We left the school and drove to another temple. We weren’t actually allowed to see the temple because we are foreigners but, we were able to experience the water temple.   Near the top of one of the mountains was a small pillared building. There were steps leading up to it and long lines from the bottom of the steps up to the temple. Inside, there were steps leading down into a small spring-fed pool about two inches deep in water.  Practicing Hindus entered from a different direction and got doused by a water fall. The rest of us entered and splashed our faces with the ‘holy’ water. It actually felt really good. It was an extremely hot day and I was covered in bug spray and sunscreen. Mountain water is nice and cool and clean.
When we exited the pool we joined another line that led to man burning incense. People were wafting the smoke and praying to an idol. We were expected to do this as well.   When it became my turn I walked past the man without even looking at him.  I will let them put a dot on my forehead as a sign of cultural respect and I will walk through the temples like a tourist doing only what is respectful but, I will not take part in idolatry.

The temple was surrounded by monkeys and bats; huge bats that fly around in broad day light. They filled the trees.   The monkeys ran all over, in and out of the temple,  begging for food.  They were creepy.

My feet are so gross. With all the taking off of shoes and walking around in temples and on the road where dogs, cows, monkeys, and humans have been, they are stained with dirt. It’s a good thing I’m used to being barefoot on a hog farm. The city kids in the group can barely stand it.

The last thing for the day was a light show at the Madurai palace. The light show was basically shining different colors of lights on different sections of the palace along to music. It was boring. But, the palace was really cool.  I loved the architecture (once again, so cool stone columns and arches… ).

Anyway, that was it for the day.  Things around here are gradually getting more normal. The driving doesn’t scare me as much and the lack of time table…well, it still annoys me…but, I at least expect it.

In Christ
~Michelle 

4 comments:

Karen said...

Happy new year. What a lot of experiences in such a short time. We love you and pray for you. God uses us and grows us in many ways. May He bless you and your time there.
Love, A. Karen

Jenny said...

Even with the awkwardness, I am so jealous. I wish my feet were covered with Indian dirt. *sigh* I hope you're taking lots of pictures.

Julie said...

So great to hear about all your adventures! Praying for you :)
Julie

Michelle said...

I am taking tons of pictures. Oh and saddly babies don't wear sarees here but i'll try to find miss cecily something cute to wear :)