Sunday, January 8, 2012

Days 10 & 11- In the Mountains

About a 3-4 hour drive away from Madurai is a small-ish mountain range. We drove up to mount Kodaikanal for the weekend and spent time sightseeing along the way.

The drive into the mountains was crazy. They do not tone down their driving at all. The roads are narrow and steep and there are rarely guardrails. I am so glad I do not get car sick.
It was so beautiful. The road winds up through the mountains overlooking a beautiful valley and lake. There are waterfall and streams. The roadside is covered in bushes of wild lantanas and huge blue morning glories. The towns along the way are built into the mountain and the open green mountainsides are covered in small terrace farms.

It was definitely chilly there and it is their winter but, they dress in scarves, hats, gloves and sweaters.  It was probably only 60 degrees.
We went to a nearby lake and spent some time wandering the shops. Some people went horseback riding but, I didn't think it was worth the rupees.

 In the evening we ate supper around a bonfire.  I was feeling a bit down. (everyone was drinking, the food was late, I didn't feel comfortable being there, the idolatry of India was making me feel sick, I was tired etc...) Well, I happened to pray and as I looked up I noticed across the way on another mountain was a small church and on that church was a cross in bright red light. I looked at the cross.
 
About an hour later, the food finally came, and as I got up to get in line one of the girls asked me if I was a Christian. One thing led to another and I came to find that I am not the only one.
There are three other Christians on this trip. (out of 60 people)
We all got together and we sat and talked for hours.

Today, I got up early and listened to a sermon.  Once again, I was feeling slightly down that I couldn't actually be in church.  So, I went outside onto the hotel's balcony. From there I could see one of the other Christian girls down below praying.  The fog was lifting from the mountains and a breeze brought a song to my ear. "Hallelujah, Hallelujah Amen. Gloria, Hallelujah..."
The church I had seen the night before was holding a service. I stood there and I listened to the preacher preach. I have no idea how far away the church was but I could hear every word, and though I couldn't understand it, it was so comforting to hear.
Anyway, Lets just say I have never felt prayers as much as I have in the past few weeks. Thank you.

Late morning we made our way down the mountain sight-seeing along the way. It was really foggy out so their wasn't much to see. But, there were monkeys. Tons of them and they were scary. Seriously, If you had anything on you that looked like food they would chase you down and snatch it from you. 

The drive down was just as beautiful as the day before. God's creation is so amazing.

In Christ
~Michelle

No comments: